DVD stuck... help please!

carrotXmac

Registered
I just woke up from a long and tiring nap when my nephew told me to put on Toy Story 2 on the MacBook Pro. As tired as I was I put in the DVD, but it was too scratched to play so I decided to put on Fireman Sam DVD instead. So after ejecting the DVD i put in a new one which the Mac did not recognize at all. I tried ejecting it with the keyboard but it didn't work, I also tried fixing it by re-booting the whole system and holding down the mouse button but to no use.

I just put down the screen for a while and when I came back the DVD rom was making a sound for the first time through this experience. Unfortuneatley that was all that happened, even after tilting it 45 degrees.

Anyone here knows how to fix this? The MacBook isn't even mine, it belongs to my sister who is going to kill me pretty soon. Also if someone could explain things as easy as possible for me as I'm a Windows user and not all that familliar with Mac.

Thank you very much

According to macosxhints, you initiate a restart (reboot) and just walk away and leave it alone for about 10 to 20 minutes, and it should eject the disk on its own.

Also:

from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275

The drive doesn't eject discs
1. If the drive ejects discs slowly or appears to be struggling, insert and eject a disc several times.
2. If the drive does not eject discs, press the F12 key or, on original PowerBook G4 computers, the manual eject button located on the side of the slot. Holding down the trackpad button during startup should also eject a disc.
3. Reset the parameter RAM (PRAM) and/or the Power Manager (PMU). PMU reset instructions for iBook G4/PowerBook G4 or for MacBook/MacBook Pro (both 15-inch and 17-inch models).
4. If the disc still does not eject, contact Apple to arrange for service.

There is always the "paperclip option", although I don't know if the MacBooks have the little eject hole to manually push the tray out.

Back