DVD Tricks in X.1 - Post yours here!

macpunc

Registered
1. don't unplug your connection to an external viewing device, OS X.1 will burn you with a restart. :mad:

2. Some DVD's will work and others regardless of your region coding won't. :mad:

3. Anyone know how to alter the region code? :D

Please keep on posting to this thread any DVD clues and work arounds.

cheers

macpunc

Originally posted by macpunc
1. don't unplug your connection to an external viewing device, OS X.1 will burn you with a restart. :mad:
Not always. I do it all the time, while my computer (PB G3 Firewire) is in sleep mode. My background doesn't work on that screen until a restart, but it's ok.

2. Some DVD's will work and others regardless of your region coding won't. :mad:
Yep. Just depends on the encoding method, I think.

3. Anyone know how to alter the region code? :D
Simple: insert a differently-coded DVD (or just use software to change it), or alter your firmware (risky, proceed with caution) so you can use Region X. A nice link: http://www.opuscc.com/download/index.shtml *USE WITH CAUTION--check and double check (even triple-check) your DVD model and firmware.*
Use the Apple System Profiler and the DVD Toolkit to help with this one. The different tools help-read the readme. Use the DVD detection utility in and the firmware utility (drive-specific) in OS 9. They won't work in Classic. It is fairly safe if you have the right drive, though. I just did it with my computer, and I can now change the region unlimited times (RPC-1, unlimited changes). Then, use the software Region (in OS 9) or Region X (OS X) to change the region code. Don't worry, this isn't counted as a "change" in the firmware (you only get 5, unless you do a vendor reset, which can only be done 5 times, for a total of 25 changes.) because your drive is now RPC-1. You may now play any region DVD in either OS 9 or OS X (You may have to manually set the region on bootup if it's different than Region 1).

**SPECIAL NOTE** some drives are not compatable becuase of locked firmware or other odd reasons I really don't know. Read the specific readmes for more information.

But this is a fairly good way to get around those problems. I have tested it with my Powerbook G3 400Mhz Firewire, and it works fine. Just don't forget to alter the region every time!

Back