DVD Unlocker (region free)

Because the movie industry wanted those region codes to exist?
I've seen one hack on a PowerBook cause hte DVD drive to refuse to burn anything after applying it.
After that, it's been a solid changing system preferences > dvd > to be ignored when inserted. And then using VLC to view it. No more annoying copyright ads in the beginning, and the codes will stay there for later, when the Mac will be sold.

I've got the VLC player, but it doesn't wanna play a DVD from region 1, I'm in region 2... how did you get to play things with VLC..?

(and the sad thing is that de movie in question is "South Park"... :(

My understanding is that there's no way around it on Intel Macs (yet). On PPC Macs, I've never had problems with VLC. You could also try playing the DVDs with MPlayer or ripping them with MacTheRipper.

Did you make movie DVDs be ignored by OS X first? Unless that is set up in System Preferences, OS X tries to deal with it, and then VLC may not work. As long as all movie DVDs are set to be ignored, VLC has worked for me on any system.

Hi everybody,

I posted something similar a couple of years ago...
Laptop computers are suposed to run around the glove, why is that there's a f@cking DVD region limitation?
Can enyboy express on this, cus I consider myself a 'world citizend'... and you?

BTW, I found "DVD Unlocker" http://www.dvdunlocker.com/movies/?pu=false&srec=true, any experiences?

cheers, Fernando

The movie industry wants to charge a different price in different parts of the world. You should notice that when travelling around the globe. By creating the regio-codes you can not buy them in a cheap area, while living in an expensive area. Protecting their rights to the extremest.

Good luck, Kees

I've got VLC settings as default.
Have you used _one_ region coded movie DVD to set up the (DVD) player to some region? If that hasn't been done and the player would have no region, that could cause some error in trying to play them in VLC player.
Do you get a specific error message or error code when trying to play it??

VLC used to be delightfully unaware of region codes. Hasn't been that
way for a while.

DVD Unlocker? I suspect they're selling what anyone can get for free
at rpc1.org.

The movie industry wants to charge a different price in different parts of the world. You should notice that when travelling around the globe. By creating the regio-codes you can not buy them in a cheap area, while living in an expensive area. Protecting their rights to the extremest.

Good luck, Kees

As far as I know, it's not so much a pricing issue, but much more a question of deciding on the date of availability. They may launch one movie in Summer in USA and in winter in Europe. They also want to protect their distribution channels.

I think this approach is outdated, but as we all know, the media industry is currently living a revolution and they need time to adapt (as did the watch industry 40 year ago).

Maybe formally they tell it is available and protection of distributors, but if the price was equal everywhere, the only protection distributors needed is against the availablity. For most buyers that would not be the issue as for europe and asia, the language is also important and even the world wide used language ENGLISH will be a major problem for most viewers.

The main reason is the PRICING issue, especially EUROPE is very expensive for DVD's en CD's. Do not come over for great deals on those items, you will get riped off. Other things might be nice though in EUROPE, so still welcome.

GOOD LUCK, KEES

that DVD Unlocker website looks very dodgy indeed. I would not recommend giving them your credit card/paypal details. It is a textbook example of sites to avoid, with just about every telltale sign of sleaziness imaginable...

- "ALMOST BANNED!!!!11!!one!!" badge
- 27 exclamation points
- bolded, italicized, underlined, all-of-the-above text formatting all over the place
- 100% satisfaction guarenteed badge
- the neverending sale ("...extended to MIDNIGHT MONDAY!!!!!!!!)
- table layout and font tags (that's right, I don't trust a site that does not use CSS. got a problem with that?! ;) )

about the: rpc1.org, it's not clear to me whether I should try or not... they said that you can always get to the default firmware of the DVd player... would that be true?

http://www.powerbook-fr.com/dossiers/dvd_region_free_en_article30.html
(here there's plenty of info, mostly difficult to understand for me... I just wanna play 'southpark'..!!!).

I agree with you 'thanks the cheese', DVD unlocker site looks very dodgy to me too, BTW what's the meaning of CSS?

Ehm... CSS = Cascading Style Sheets if we're talking about web design. No idea where fryke got that weird definition from :D

Back