dvd won't eject from cube

jschwell

Registered
i recently tried to change out the read only optical drive on my cube to a combo drive i got from other world computing. i couldn't unplug the ata ribbon connector so after wiggling and tugging at it i put the whole thing back together. it booted up fine and works great except a dvd i put in the drive will not eject. i tried booting into the open firmware and typing in some commands that were suggested on another forum but i keep getting the message "can't operate the eject mechanism" or something like that. apparently this is a common problem with cubes as they don't have a mechanical eject button. is there a trick i haven't tried? if i completely remove the old drive by unscrewing the connector board (since i can't get the ribbon connector off) is there any way to get the dvd out of the drive without damaging either?
thanks for your help, jschwell

I'm pretty sure you've already tried the eject button right when it's starting up, but if you didn't try it, definitely try it. But the CD Rom drive has always been a major problem with the G4 cube, thats the reason why I don't use mine anymore.

Back