DVD won't eject (not hardware)

acetate

Registered
Hi,

I have a Mac Pro running 10.4.11. When I press the eject button on my keyboard the DVD will not eject (I get the eject symbol show up on my screen). I though it might be a hardware issue but I can go into iTunes and click the eject button there and it ejects fine every time. So the hardware is fine it it is an issue with the OS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Have you tried repairing permissions using DiskUtility? If you are unfamiliar with this procedure, this is what you do:

• Go to Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility.
• Click on the 'First Aid' tab below the toolbar.
• Select your Mac Hard Drive partition from the list on the left.
• At the bottom of the window click 'Repair Disk Permissions'.

If you get any message saying "Permissions differ on…", when the scan is complete repeat until no error messages appear (or the only messages are "We are using special permissions on…" which can safely be ignored).

Failing that, go to your user folder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, and Hard drive/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist. Drag these files to the trash, then log out and in again.

Thanks for your help but no go I'm afraid. Permissions were OK and killed the .plists but issue persists.

Other ideas welcome...

Thanks.

I have a Mac Pro running 10.4.11. When I press the eject button on my keyboard the DVD will not eject (I get the eject symbol show up on my screen). I though it might be a hardware issue but I can go into iTunes and click the eject button there and it ejects fine every time. So the hardware is fine it it is an issue with the OS. Any ideas?

This is a bizarre Mac issue which I too have experienced, same OS, very irritating, and I believe it's something to do with the OS unmounting the disk. The only workaround I've found is to drag the dvd (or cd) disk icon to the Trash, or occasionally Cmd-E.

I think the reason iTunes ejects your disk successfully is that it does the unmounting thing via the OS. The other thing too is that any other application using the dvd may not 'release' it until you Quit the app.

Back