DVD Writer

MissyC

Registered
I'm quite new to macs, and useless when it comes to knowing my stuff so bare with me!

I want to get myself a DVD writer for my Dual 1.42 G4. I've searched previous threads and seen that people have mentioned not all DVD writers are compatible with macs (that's the impresion I got?), I have £100 to buy one of these, can anyone recommend something please?

Also I use my mac for music, and record in studios using DVD Ram. I don't even know if there is a drive that exists that could do the bog standard DVD writer jobs and deal with DVD RAM. Is there one? It'd be very handy if there was!

Thank you :D

The one DVD recorder that is Mac compatible is the Pioneer DVR-106. This is the drive Apple uses, completely compatible with all Apple apps when it is installed internally.

Are you sure you don't already have this drive in the G4?

Hey,

I'm pretty sure I don't, I ordered my mac off the apple website. I knocked off the DVD writer at the time as it made my costs too expensive, so this is just a DVD player (I hope!) How would I check? I have a broken leg so I'd find it hard to get the case open! So there's only one DVD writer that works with macs.....that seems a bit odd.

Check your System Profiler, that will tell you. If you buy a DVD drive, get the Pioneer. You should be able to get if for less than $125.oo US.

Just Google for that drive.

There are a few DVD-R/DVD-RAM combo drives out there Missy. http://www.mcetech.com offer "slot-loading" combo drives (and yet not tray-loading...) that do what you want, and claim to be itunes/disc burner compatible. I had this conversation with some people before, and the general concensus was that dvd-ram is too slow to make it worth-while, compared to dvd-r/dvd+r etc..

bobw said:
The one DVD recorder that is Mac compatible is the Pioneer DVR-106. This is the drive Apple uses, completely compatible with all Apple apps when it is installed internally.

Are you sure you don't already have this drive in the G4?
This should read "iDVD compatible," not "Mac compatible." The Pioneer AV-105 and 106 drives are the only DVD writers that I know of that will work with iDVD because Apple uses them in its machines. Other DVD writers are compatible with Macs, and you can use programs like Toast and DVD Studio Pro to write to them, but they won't work with iDVD.

OK thanks for all these replies! :) I can see that a DVD RAM drive wouldnt be a great investment at the moment.

I've never used iDVD, I'm not even too sure what it does!!! So I guess I can pretty much look at any writer being as I won't be using it as part of iDVD.

Thanks for the help!

Back