DVD?

The first release of Mac OS X (version 10.0) will not have DVD playback from within X itself. You can reboot into OS 9 and watch your DVDs there, however.

As a rule, Apple doesn't ship unfinished software and so opted to keep DVD playback out of the initial release of X. (from what I gather, anyway. Could be some other reason altogether.)

However, this does not mean that Apple won't release DVD support through a downloadable Software Update shortly thereafter.

"Apparently, the reason for lack of DVD playback in OSX is directly related to the recent hacks such as DeCSS and qrpff (http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,42259,00.html).

Since DVD decryption is done in software now, if these new Linux-based hacks were combined with Apple's new CD-RW equipped machines... you can see why a brand new G4 with OSX would make pirates drool

Until the legal issues of DVD decryption (namely, these hacks) are sorted out, DVD playback on OSX will be a dangerous issue. Apple would basically be walking into the line of fire on that one."

Mac Guru

There is an article on Macworld.com quoting Steve as saying that the DVD player and CD burning software should be out this spring within the next month or 2.

http://macworld.zdnet.com/2001/03/22/osx-brief1.html

DVD-playback and CD-burning capabilities are missing from the initial release. Jobs promised that those two features would be fixed sometime this spring and at the end of April, respectively.

So just wait :),

Exactly... it's a darn 1.0 release not to mention a whole new OS. I pitty the fool that thinks a software company could come out with something brand new and somehow pack all the features into the initial release.

If that was possible at all then screw apple for not giving us all the features of OS 9 back in OS 7.5! ;)

Mac Guru

IMHO this is MORONIC.
Big F'n deal that apple ships with CD-RWs. PCs have had DVD playback AND CD-RWs in the same box for a looong time now...sooo ??

Apple DVD player uses the built in video card to decode DVDs, there is no reason to bring in DeCSS et al. Further more that is a software DVD decoder already available for the mac, AND you dont even have to have DeCSS and qtrff (or whatever) to make copies of DVDs. DeCSS is there to play the DVD, NOT to copy it.

This is a moronic argument, and I dont think that apple left DVD playback off 1.0 for this reason.

Admiral

I am QUITE sure that it has nothing to do with Mac G4s shipping with DVD and CD-RW together

You can't copy a DVD onto a CD anyway - different capacity.

With DeCSS, you MIGHT be able to extract clips from the DVD and store those onto a CD - perhaps even convert the whole DVD into two or three VideoCDs ...

... but I am sure that is not the issue. You can do that anyway with a PC.

Besides, REAL pirates use a duplicator machine and copy the whole DVD bit by bit - track by track, sector by sector. Encryption and all

I am just speculating here, but my guess is that Apple was not quite able to get the DVD player working properly in all configurations, and opted to not include that in the first release.

There will be a update/patch/fix soon coming, and you will get it though the Software Update utility

DeCSS is to decode the video so that it can be played.
You CAN copy video from a DVD (or another MPEG2 source for that matter like a SVCD) and you can video edit it and make CDs of that video, like for example make VCDs of a DVD or make a SVCD from a regular VCD. I have done video editing and all this can be done without DeCSS.

THe video industry is just bitchin' (pardon my language) because with DeCSS if you buy a DVD from europe (region 2 encoding) you can play use DeCSS to play it anywhere. SO if *I* legitimatelly buy DVD from europe and want to see it if I dont have DeCSS (or a software DVD encoder w/o region recognition) OR a DVD player from region 2 my purchase was in vain. The motion picture indistry is ust looking for some more $$$ in its pockets.

I am with the notion that apple could not get it all done soon enough ;) I am waiting for a DVD player though b4 I get OS X ;)

Mac Guru is right on the money about the release of the DVD software for OS X. I have no idea about the CD-R stuff, but the DVD player particualry has been held up because of the Consortium and Intellectual Property issues.

Did anyone read the post I made earlier in this thread? Look at it. Apple is working on the DVD player right now.

Originally posted by Maximus
I would not doubt that Consortium fears and IP issues are holding up Apple's OS X DVD player. It seems one of the most likely explanation.

When in doubt, Occam's Razor is your friend.

Dark cabals and conspiracies are good television.

Originally posted by marmoset

When in doubt, Occam's Razor is your friend.

Dark cabals and conspiracies are good television.

No conspiracies or cabals, this is the reality of knowledge based products in a complex marketplace. If Napster hadn't been the dream of a teenager, it would never have gotten started. And look what trouble they've faced. Nonetheless, it's the beginning of a new paradigm, and lots of old companies are looking to hang onto old value propositions.

IP and law suits keep the world from changing, while technology drives the process of change relentlessly. This one factor bogging down the web these days. Yahoo is being sued in France, for having auction items on it's US web site, and lost the case. Now it has to pay daily fines for "violations" of French law. The EC is considering new laws to codify that state of affairs, such that if you sell anything on the web, you'd better know if you're violating any law in ANY EC country. These things are getting pretty hairy, and it has nothing to do with conspiracies or dark cabals. Just lots of little businesses, principalities and consumers looking to recreate what they are used to.

If you really think that because Apple would likely have to clear their technology for IP issues, there's a dark cabal or conspiracy - then you're going to have a hard time distinguishing market complexities from bad business ideas. Contrary to all the web hype, business just "aint" that simple.

What in the world does DeCSS have to do with Apple releasing an officially-licensed DVD player?

They're not open-sourcing their DVD player for the world to see.

DeCSS and piracy issues have no more to do with having a Mac OS X DVD player than it would have for a player on Windows or Mac OS 9.

-Rob

Apple is the first consumer oriented computer company to provide a Unix based OS and, shortly, a Unix based/software based DVD player.

"Illegal" decryption software, such as DeCSS, is Unix and Software based. While as a software person, one may "know" that that makes no difference, to large industries - particularly after Napster and DeCSS litigation - such matters are not lightly assumed without further cautious investigation. I am certain that industry lawyers would be quite interested in ensuring that Apple's DVD player will not be easily converted into an illegal copy and decryption machine.

As for how much or how long such interests might affect Apple's distribution of a Unix based DVD player - I think that is unknown. Clearly Apple is not trying to piss off the industry (Jobs got rich making movies - not computers - movies made on Unix based machines). Maybe people are right to say, the delay would be quite short, if at all, but I wouldn't dispute the liklihood of the concern causing the delay - rather than any technical issues. One thing is clear - creating a simple, Unix based, DVD player should not have been difficult for Apple.

Check out the story posted below, from another posting above. It doesn't mention Apple, but it suggests the challenges the entire entertainment industry is going to go through when broad band becomes ubiquitous. This will not only affect Apple, but your free speech. Moreover, this is NOT matter of national security. It's entertainment.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,42259,00.html

Note that DeCSS is actually a Windows program, for Unix you actually want something called "css-auth" which has source.

Back