DVR-K04L and Toast 7

easterhay

little green rosetta
Hi folks.
Got a 17" iMac G5, 250GB HD, 2GB RAM, 10.4.7 which had a Panasonic CW-8124-C DVD/CD-RW drive in working perfectly burning CDs with iTunes, Finder and Toast 7 Titanium.

Today I changed the drive for a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K04L. I have managed to burn an audio CD in iTunes, but when I try to do the same in Toast I get a message saying "Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error. Result Code = -50" It also says the disc format isn't recognised, though it's the same make of disc which worked before the switch.
I've dumped the prefs file for Toast, and also managed to burn a data CD. Haven't tried a DVD yet.

Any suggestions as to what might be up?

Thanks y'all.

Sorry, perhaps I should add the System Profile entry for the drive is:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K04L:

Firmware Revision: D441
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 0 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

I'm a dunce, so if there's an obvious answer, I'm likely to be missing it.

Ta

One thing to think about: you have to use CD-R's or DVD-R's, CD+R's or DVD+R's will not work.

I don't know if the writeable CDs I'm using are CD-R or CD+R (it's not clearly marked and I can't get them to register with Disc Utility when I put them blank in the drive, so not much help there), but I've tried creating a music disc with a CD-RW in Toast and get the same problem. Works for data, not for tunes.

I've done a search here and got the following result:

*starts*
Accelerate Your Mac! Drive Database - Search Results
Report Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Drive Type: DVD+R/RW + DVD-R/RW Drives
Interface Type: All Interface Types
Mac Model: Apple iMac G5
Survey Results: (1 reports total, now showing records 1 to 1):
Reviewer's Name: Mike
Date Submitted: 11/13/2005
Drive Type: DVD+R/RW + DVD-R/RW Drives
Drive Interface: IDE
Drive Brand: Pioneer
Drive Model Number: DVR-K04L
Driver Used: Apple Standard
Mac Model: Apple iMac G5
Mac OS Version: OS X 10.4
Reader Comments: interesting from SysProfiler:
Firmware Revision: 1.00
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
(As mentioned in the past here - the K04L has been reported/supported like that for some time.
BTW -10.4.3 made the later DVR-K05 drive "Apple Shipped/Supported" with native iDVD 5.0.1 DL project support, etc.-Mike)
Cache: 2000 KB
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

iMac G5 Rev.A 1.6GHz, 10.4.3, 1.25GB DDR.
Bootable and 100% compatible/supported. Ejects disks too far, sometimes they drop out. I still use Toast 5.2.1 and DiskUtil - runs smoothly
*ends*

which seems, to my untrained eye, to hint at better odds with a K05 with Tiger. But I could be wrong.

Still lost

Back