? dwnlded movies don't fully play -unless u click around

roninsmurf

Registered
is this some sort of Chapter-Indexing problem?
(like i even know what that means...)

sometimes when i download a movie off the net (i enjoy movies about geometry and stuff -- ya know: educational stuff. oh: and movies about human anatomy -- i like those too.),
i can't play the whole thing, unless i click at the BEGINNING of the "progress bar" as the clip is about to END. then, suddenly, i can watch another chapter of the movie. if i'm alert and keep clicking at the beginning as the progress bar is about to run out, i can watch the whole thing.
so odd.
i don't have any control over how i download this stuff (do i? - like a setting that puts each chapter after the other??)
so i tried to export the files from QT in different ways -- same problem.
sometimes a huge file -- a 100 mb movie for example -- will only last 10 sec -- so i know there's more on there. and then i play the clicking game and i can see more...

anyone know how to fix this?

i'm osx 10.4.4 QT 7.0.4 g4 15"

These are MPEGs, I assume. QuickTime's MPEG support has always been kind of lousy. This, combined with the many ways the format is frequently bastardized (from improperly-combined files to incompatible codecs to plain old-fashioned corruption during transfer), makes many downloaded MPEGs exhibit strange behavior. I've never known any way to get QT to play the whole thing. I'll have to try that click-at-the-beginning thing next time I encounter such a movie.

Easy way: Use VLC or MPlayer to play the movies. (I know, no substitute for QT. But what can I say?)

Hard way: Use some kind of demuxer and remuxer, or MPEG repair program. Alas, my old friend bbDemux no longer works in OS X, and I've never found another really good one. ffmpegX has some demuxing options, but I've never used them myself.

nice!
so AVI and QT all had the same problem.
but when you said demux remux,
that was ll i needed to do! i just used ffmpegX to demux and then dragged them back togther -- and the issue was solved.

gracias!

Back