Earliest Mac

Majin Silver

Registered
Hey, I'm in 11th grade, and I am in a class called Computer Tech. Where we are getting A+ certified. Now in our "lab" we have, obviously, a thousand PCs. We only get computers though, from donations. Someone donated a ton of Apple computers. The latest there are beige G3s. I'm the only mac guy in my class, so our teacher is gonna let me set up a computer, to show off the Mac. (we're doing different operating systems right now, we just looked at Linux). I own Mac os X, and I was wondering what the earliest model it will run on is.

My memory is a little fuzzy,(That's what a fine merlot will do) but I believe the beige g3 is a supported machine. If it won't install normally you can go to [URLl]http://www.otherworldcomputing.com[/URL] and download their hack to allow you to install on non-supported machines

The beige G3 is, in fact, the earliest supported G3 machine for Mac OS X. Lucky you. It'll be slow, though.

RAM! RAM!

Don't forget about RAM!

Make sure it has at LEAST 256.. Well. 128 but for that machine, I recommend nothing less than 256.

Good luck showing it off. Too bad it can't be a newer Mac. I'd hatre for OS X to seem extremely slow to your fellow classmates thus sending them spirialing into a "Mac's SUCK now and forever" standing. Once there, they'll never come back out.

Also explain how the beige G3 is an older system, the oldest supported by OS X to explain the slowness you will encounter....to prevent that spiraling 'Macs suck' spiel.

ive seen 10.0.4 running on 266 G3 with 256 ram. It was SLOW. But 10.0.4 was slow even on dual G4s.
Try to put as much ram as you can get in that machine and jaguar will run just ok. And if you can, put a faster HDD in, maybe from your home computer. That will help alot too.

And if you have a chance put a 266 (or something like that) PC next to it and run windows XP on it :) That way nobody will say how OSX is slow :)

The earliest machines that can possibly run OS X is the 7300-9600 line. But it's both unsupported and slow, and you'll have to use XPostFacto. Also, 10.2 doesn't run on processors before the G3, so old machines that are not upgraded can only run up to Mac OS X 10.1.x.

Originally posted by kommakazi
Also explain how the beige G3 is an older system, the oldest supported by OS X to explain the slowness you will encounter....to prevent that spiraling 'Macs suck' spiel.

More than that, explain that the beige G3s are more than five years old, released in 1997. If someone complains, ask them to load Windows XP on a system five years old and see how fast it runs.

If you want to know exactly when your system was built, check the serial number. The first two characters tell what country the computer was built in. The next three numbers tell the year and week it was built. So a serial number starting SG743... would have been built in Singapore during the 43rd week of 1997. Just FYI.

Also, you might download and install Yellow Dog Linux on one of the older Macs. If anyone's loading Linux on the PCs, it might be nice to show that Macs can play too. Have fun!

And the best advice yet:

Lock all the doors and don't let anyone go home until they agree Macs are the best;)

Originally posted by EvenStranger
If you want to know exactly when your system was built, check the serial number. The first two characters tell what country the computer was built in. The next three numbers tell the year and week it was built. So a serial number starting SG743... would have been built in Singapore during the 43rd week of 1997. Just FYI.
Hey, that's interesting!
You mean the serial from About this mac --> Click --> Click...?
I get PT030...
That makes Portugal (how do you say that in english?), year 2000, week 30.
:)

Do not put OSX on display on a machine that old by itself. Use OS 9 for the bulk of your demo. Show what macs can do and how easy they are. Then finish your demo by booting into X to dazzle em lol...they will see how pretty it looks without having to reveal too much. As stated above you'll need Memory, Memory and oh yes Memory. Also use 10.1 or above or don't bother. Also, since your looking at Linux too a couple of Terminal tricks would be good to show that it's not just Ease and Beauity but rough tough UNIX.

You are very lucky to be getting A+ certified at school, and incorporating the Mac into that training. I had to pay a ton of money for A+ training that was worthless, and on top of that they didn't want to talk about Macs at all. I'm not saying that the A+ certification was worthless just the training. I knew I should have just taken the damn test...(I tried to filter as much bitterness as I could out of this post, oh well...);)

Originally posted by holy_mac_url
…Also, since your looking at Linux too a couple of Terminal tricks would be good…

Yeah, like drag-and-drop auto-completion of paths to folders/files. ;)

Back