Easily Caused Kernel Panic Mac OS X 10.2.2

kendall

Registered
As seen on Slashdot,

shibby tells us that it is easy to cause a kernel panic in Mac OS X 10.2.2, by attempting to move a directory into the same location as another one of the same name, using Terminal: mkdir ~/mydir; cd ~/mydir; mkdir mydir; mv mydir ... Kernel panic is instant. Save all your documents and quit your open apps if you feel the need to see it for yourself. Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't really want to try this to verify if its true or not. Does anyone else? :) Might be a good chance to try out the Journaling capabilities of 10.2.2. :D

im not willing to verify this as well... maybe some1 else will be brave enough to try it.. what id like to know is if anyone can explain what JOURNALING CAPABILITIES are (or maybe a certain link that i can read.) ??? .. thanx:)

No kernal panic for me when I followed those commands...
Code:
usage: mv [-fi] source target
       mv [-fi] source ... directory
;)

Whoops! Just returned from a kernel panic. The correct code for this is:

Code:
mkdir ~/mydir
cd ~/mydir
mkdir mydir
mv mydir ~/

WARNING: Dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

you see what the actual problem is? you're removing your current working directory's path. want to try what happens when you do this? is it the same? (i don't want to...):

Code:
mkdir ~/mydir
cd ~/mydir
rm -rf ~/mydir

i've got a 10.1.5

tried it

no kernel panic !!!

just an error message (i.e. what is supposed to happen)

Originally posted by fryke
you see what the actual problem is? you're removing your current working directory's path. want to try what happens when you do this? is it the same? (i don't want to...):
Nothing for that one, Fryke. It stayed in ~/mydir, but it actually deleted it. :confused: See attached pic.

Attachments

• weird.jpg
    weird.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 89
I tried it on my iBook for fun...yup kernel panic. woohoo. How often does anyone actually do this? That's the real question...

yep, insta-kernal panic!! That sucks. Windows-users will have a field day with this one!! Sigh...

Funny how in the finder, you get an error message if you try this, but the terminal kernal panics the computer?!

Elvis??!!!??!?!?!!!??!!!??!?!

Originally posted by solrac
Elvis??!!!??!?!?!!!??!!!??!?!
Hmm, I wonder if you have something here. Of those who tried this self-destruct button, how many had journaling enabled? I wonder if the enabled/disabled journaling accounts for the differences in experience.

About Windows-users and their field day... Well, it's certainly a bug, but it's a rare condition one, too. And it's still much more complicated than "No keyboard found - Press any key to continue"

Terminal warriors might not find this such a rare condition. I've done this many of times in Linux where I tend to use a terminal for just about everything. OS X is much more usable than any other Unix based OS so I don't find myself using Terminal that often. Still, I'm sure there are still those who prefer using Terminal to perform operations rather than the GUI itself. The ones likely to be most affected by this are system admins. These also happen to be the ones who can afford a kernel panic the least.

i don't think any users will accidently do this to their computer ^_^. maybe i underestimate the ability of the world to produce idiots.

Originally posted by bbloke
Hmm, I wonder if you have something here. Of those who tried this self-destruct button, how many had journaling enabled? I wonder if the enabled/disabled journaling accounts for the differences in experience.
I had journaling on, if it matters... I think it does... :D

Back