Easily Caused Kernel Panic Mac OS X 10.2.2

Originally posted by Ricky
I had journaling on, if it matters... I think it does... :D
Thanks for the feedback, Ricky.

kommakazi and solrac: you both suffered from the kernel panics. Did you both have journaling switched off?

I'm using the Terminal to create, copy and move directories often myself, but I haven't yet replaced a directory of name A with another directory of the same name which happens to be the directory of my current working directory. I think it IS rare. Or did you have lots of those kernel panics in the time you're using Mac OS X?

It's a bit like... In earlier times we used the expression "cutting the limb you're sitting on", nowadays we say "killing the SSH daemon of the server you're logged into"

When you work in console 24/7 you do some crazy things. Especially at 4:00 AM.

Also, with a bash shell when Tab sometimes auto completes the wrong file or directory. You get working fast/carelessly, its bound to happen.

Obviously it happened once or we wouldn't know about it today.

Like I said, I don't use Terminal often in OS X but if a bug like this cropped up in Linux, it would be a major deal to me.

This bug has nothing to do with Elvis : it works wonderfully without journaling. I think it is a small bug in the HFS+ kext. The finder check the validity of the request before performing it (IE calling the kernel to perform the task).
It should be quite easy for Apple to carrect this bug, since it can be repeated (it makes it easly to locate).

Originally posted by Ricky
Whoops! Just returned from a kernel panic. The correct code for this is:

Code:
mkdir ~/mydir
cd ~/mydir
mkdir mydir
mv mydir ~/

WARNING: Dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

I tried this on my linux box (SUSE Linux 7.1 -- Kernel 2.2.18):
Code:
/home/magreen> mkdir mydir
/home/magreen> cd mydir/
Directory: /home/magreen/mydir
magreen/mydir> mkdir mydir
magreen/mydir> mv mydir ~/
mv: cannot overwrite directory `/home/magreen/mydir'
magreen/mydir> ls
mydir

Just using the ext FS. Why do you get a kernel panic with 10.2.2???:confused:

Like the thread shows, it's a bug in 10.2.2 (and earlier I suppose) that hasn't been caught. I'd expect it to be fixed by 10.2.3 in the latest builds. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Also, I think, you should try cd'ing inside the second mydir first. But it actually _shouldn't_ cause a freeze.

Sorry guys I didn't read through the whole thread, but I just wanted to say that I had to reinstall everything for Mac OS X yesterday, and I lost tons of data, including pictures of my Grandma who i will never see again. Thanks Mac OS X!

Back