Easy Question

Noformation

Registered
I have a Powerbook G4, my roommate tripped over my Ethernet cord, causing it to rip violently out of it's "port". When I tried to plug the Ethernet cord back in, it seems to fit, but I get no connection out of it. I know there is obviously something wrong with it, but my question is. Should I get a whole new ethernet card, or is there some way I can just get a new replacement "port"? If so, where do you suggest I look? Money is not an option because he is going to pay for it.

Thanks.

01. Try another Ethernet cable, first - since, such action was not mentioned in the original post.

02. If the Ethernet 'port' (jack, female connector) is determined to be damaged - the damage may be of the connector, respective solder connection(s), and / or the printed circuit board. To determine such, and repair - if possible, you will have to seek an Apple or related repair facility.

About 02.: This is usually repaired by a replacement motherboard AFAIK. I haven't heard of Apple replacing ports only or resoldering them.

I have tried a different ethernet cord, and it still doesnt work. So I cannot replace the ethernet card? I'd have to get a whole new mother board?

'So I cannot replace the ethernet card?' - there is no 'Ethernet card'.

From this PowerBook printed circuit board (PCB) picture, it can be seen (to the left of the integrated circuit chip with the '05' label) that the Ethernet connector is soldered to the mother board.

well sorry for my ignorance barhar, but I know nothing about laptops. I've yet to take it apart to see for myself, because I dont want to fuck anything up, knowing my luck, some how I would.

Where exactly is the expansion slot? (according to the photo)
I mean I would like to go with the cheapest option, because even though I'm not paying for it, it's unlikely that this kid would spend the money on a whole new motherboard; even though he did break my shit.

There has to be a way besides replacing the whole motherboard...This is why I hate laptops, it seems like thinner/smaller is never better.

'Where exactly is the expansion slot? (according to the photo)' - ignore the provided picture link, with respect to the 'Expansion slot'.

The 'Expansion slot' is a PCMCIA or renamed 'PC Card' (also labeled 'CardBus') slot. This slot (if present) is located on the side or rear of the PowerBook, model depending.

do you have the protection plan for your powerbook? or is the warranty still good? in any case you can take it to the apple store and they could fix it for free if you bought the protection plan or still have that one year warranty. they can fix it for like $300 without any of that stuff. they would have to ship it out for about a week and fix it. then you would get it back good as new.
i had a problem with my monitor. it had a whitle verticle line going down it so i went and they would fix it for $300. i dont have any warranty anymore. i dont know what im gonna do still. hmm

anyways yeah.. dont fix it yourself. you might screw up the mother board and then that will be moooore pricy.

hope that halped

Back