"educational imac"

I actaully thought about getting this, but it's so non-upgradeable from the apple website I figured eh, plus i really wanted the 20" ... but for some college students this will help them a lot.

It's not a bad option for schools. I mean, are they really going to be using the X1600 in the other iMacs? You want to play games, go home and play games. ;) For everyday use, the Intel GMA 950 isn't so bad (contrary to my own original opinion when it was introduced with the Mac mini :D).

Too bad it's not being made available for the home market. :( This is a great machine that gives you the Mac mini without having to purchase a new monitor or use an old monitor. And the price is quite nice as well. :D

Sounds familiar. Sounds like the eMac. Apple sure has a roundabout way of doing these things! The eMac, too, was originally only for education (hence the "e"), but it was quickly repurposed for the general public. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen here, especially since the eMac was just recently discontinued in Europe due to new regulations on hazardous substances. This new iMac looks like the perfect successor to the eMac; it would be a shame if they didn't market it as such.

The Mac Mini is a great machine, but...Macs are supposed to be simple and easy to set up. Apple had a whole ad campaign about it. Some of their current ads still stress it. And yet the Mac Mini — the entry-level machine — is every bit as much of a pain to set up as any PC. Actually, it's probably even more of a pain, since most entry-level PCs come with a keyboard and mouse, and even a monitor. (Which is not to say I think the Mini should come with any of these things. It's perfect the way is, for the role it originally filled.)

When the Mac Mini was first introduced, it was the alternative to the eMac, for more experience computer users. Then they killed the eMac, and suddenly the Mac Mini had to fill a hole it wasn't quite suited for. The Mac Mini is not ideal for new computer users. I think this new iMac is.

I'm still confused by Apple's iSight revolution. Even if I wanted a webcam, I certainly wouldn't want it to be stationary. I wish they'd leave out extras like that and bring the price down a notch. But I digress.

It's certainly a great eMac replacement. Now: Whether Apple should make such a low-end config available for the rest of us... I'm not sure. The Mac mini certainly fills that slot. Apple is ready to sell you a mouse and keyboard at any time - or you can use every other USB mouse and keyboard. I think they should have a cheap display, though, in their lineup. Not every Mac mini buyer wants a 20" cinema. Well, sure they _want_ one, but they'll probably go with some no-brand 17" display or something they've already got at home. But Apple _does_ already order a lot of 17" displays for the iMacs and MBPs, so why not add a 17" widescreen display for desktops?

Back