Ehh....how big is XFree86 - source distribution?

J.M.J.

Registered
Hello!

I am currently fetching XFree86 using the instructions at http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Darwin.html
I did the CVS command to get the source. I should probably be using the binaries, but I tried that a few weeks ago and never got it to work when running the install script.
Anyway, I'm on a modem and have downloaded 80 MB of the source so far.
In a document that comes with the package, it says:

------------------------------
The general layout under xc/ is as follows:

config/ imake config files, imake, makedepend, etc.
doc/ all documentation other than per-program manual pages
fonts/ BDF, Speedo, Type1 fonts
include/ common include files
lib/ libraries
nls/ national language support files
programs/ all programs, including the X server and rgb,
util/ patch, compress, other utilities
bug-report bug reporting template
registry X Registry
------------------------------

Now, in my XFree86 root folder, I've so far received the config, doc and font folders along with a folder called "extra". This means there's a substantial amount of code left to download (the "programs" folder sounds like a big one). Has anyone downloaded XFree86 via CVS from the Terminal and can tell me how big the full package is?

I'd really appreciate it.
Oh well, at least it's nice with this CVS thingy, cause it sort of checks what I already have, so when the modem loose the connection, I can reconnect and continue where I stopped.

Thanks in advance

/J.M.J.

Looking at my own copy of the CVS tree it appears that XFree86 is roughly 310MB in size, which consists of approximately 20,000 files.

Originally posted by evoangelist
Looking at my own copy of the CVS tree it appears that XFree86 is roughly 310MB in size, which consists of approximately 20,000 files.

Ahh...that's nice to hear ;)
It could have been a 650 MB CD-sized distribution (scary thought to a modem user).
Did you get the size-info via a CVS-command or by checking the tree in Finder's Info-palette?
I think I'll have to go and study some docs on CVS....

Thanks for the info!

/J.M.J.

The size information was gathered from the finder, and should be fairly accurate as my copy of the CVS tree was updated earlier today. Downloading using a modem shouldn't take a great deal of time, as interruptions to your connection will not mean restarting the whole source tree download, but simply continuing with the files that have yet to be downloaded (as you stated in a previous post). If you have any other queries don't hesitate to drop me a message.. Hope this helps :)

Back