Eject button on kbd works with what drive?

dalo

Registered
I'm not that sure this is really a software question, but it's my safest guess. Also tried to find threads already dealing with the subject, but with no luck.

It's all rather simple: I now have a PowerMac G4. When I'll get a Mini in about a month or so, I wont go with the Superdrive one, because I already own a DVD-RW drive with DL support that I use in this G4. That mean's I'll have to buy an external Firewire case. No problem, so far.

But when this is done, when all set, wich drive will the eject button on my keyboard eject? All that will be on my desk is the external dvd-rw case, exept for the screen, monitor and mouse. I really don't need to touch that mini at all.

That is, if the eject button on my keyboard will actually eject the drive that I want to eject. Or if anyone of you folks know of a tool that allows me to control this mylself?

Most likely the eject button will only work for the internal drive and the firewire drive should have a faceplate (even coming out of the tower) that you can hit to eject it. I could be entirely wrong on the matter but given that one device is connected through an IDE channel and the other is through a firewire controller I think the OS is smart enough not to get confused...

'... When I'll get a Mini ... a DVD-RW drive with DL support that I use in this G4 ... an external Firewire case, which drive will the eject button on my keyboard eject?', the iMac's internal CD drive.

Download the freeware utility Ardiem, v. 1.1.1. It will allow you to assign another 'F' key to open / close the tray of the external Firewire DVD burner.

Back