elegance

jcart12

Registered
The site http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=411956

has a really good article on Ive's and the mac.

I really like this quote

------------------
The added ingredient: Elegance

By Charles Arthur

Seen from a great height, Apple's products are specks in the huge world of computing - a few in every hundred. Yet in design terms, they're an oasis in a vast desert.

Touch most PCs and you'll feel a certain give, an uncertainty in assembly that is the curse of being one of the slaves to Microsoft's hegemony, built down to a price to run identical software. Even where it doesn't show physically, you can sense a missing ingredient - elegance.

Jonathan Ive is admired among designers because he pours elegance into products. The 1997 iMac was a gumdrop-inspired solution to making an all-in-one machine. The second, with its movable flat screen, alludes to a sunflower. The iPod is like an everlasting cigarette packet for those addicted to music instead of tobacco.

Rivals make comparable, even cheaper, products. But they don't have it. They don't look desirable. They're just objects for a task.

Careful attention is Mr Ive's métier. Item: a small light on the computer shows whether it is working or in a suspended "sleeping" state. Once sleeping was indicated by a slowly flashing light. Mr Ive changed that. Now the light pulses slowly, as though the machine were truly asleep, breathing in and out. What use is that? None. What value does it have? As much as you put on being pleased.

Mr Ive dislikes the computing business's obsession with ram and megabytes: "Inhuman and very cold". His work has always tried to make machines people would love. Could he ever be tempted away by a Windows PC manufacturer? I doubt it. He couldn't like the abrupt graphics or the zig-zag fonts. Not elegant; not stylish. He's made his own, more elegant world.

-----------

How true!

Heh, maybe the next big Apple (no pun intended) will be an android or something. Honda has Asimo, perhaps Apple will take it to the next step... :)

Very good quote! :)

"What use is that? None. What value does it have? As much as you put on being pleased."

Hedonism all the way! :D

This idea captures a large part of why I feel more comfortable ("at home", if you will) within (software) and around (hardware) the Mac. The elegance and simplicity, yet attention to detail on both levels makes using a Mac a most enjoyable experience.

It's kind of like experiencing a nice BMW (sorry to beat the car analogy to death); it is comfortable and designed in an intelligent and detailed manner (fading cabin lights, well desinged dash, nice environmental/audio controls). Lots of features could be eliminated and stripped down, but that would take away from the overall experience and turn it into just another car.

It is the overall enjoyment of the computing experience that drives the Mac user to stay a Mac user.

I don't like BMW's. A better analogy would be the mini. fun, extremely user friendly to drive, great detail, not too expensive, but more expensive than other small cars and under-powered but because of it's superior handling and lightness, very fast.

Once they put a 970 under the boot, it will make it one hell of a supercharged beast!

Actually, a Subaru would be a little more in line with the analogy, especially since they put out top-of-the-line performing vehicles, use technology that everyone else tries to copy, and due to the way it's built, does more or less exactly what you want it to do.

Oh yeah, not to mention that, like Apple, command an entire nation's attention with a release of a new car model (most recently the new Legacy series out here in Japan) versus the other companies (compare Subaru's single release last year of the new WRX STi versus Toyota's monthly releases...) despite being one of the smallest manufacturers.

Cheers.

Originally posted by jcart12
I don't like BMW's. A better analogy would be the mini. fun, extremely user friendly to drive, great detail, not too expensive, but more expensive than other small cars and under-powered but because of it's superior handling and lightness, very fast.

Once they put a 970 under the boot, it will make it one hell of a supercharged beast!

Wow, I'm a car nut and the analogies never bother me, but now I can definately see how this can get beaten to death fairly easily. :D

Although it is fairly amusing!

Yeah... it's hard to pick a car company that fits Apple... Subaru for innovative technology.... others would say BMW for "fit and finish" or whatever you want to call it....

Come to think of it, the car analogy just doesn't work as well as we all would like, I think. Apple has carved themselves and interesting niche, the likes of which is kind of hard to find in any other industry.

What, your car doesn't download email, play Quake 3 and do photo restoration in Photoshop?

Wait, neither does mine! :( ;)

Nah... make that motorcycles... they are fast, they are fun, they are dangerous and adventurous and they have a smaller market share than cars! ha ha ha ha... just my two cents worth...

There is no right or wrong in opinions... only good and bad onions...

Originally posted by plastic
Nah... make that motorcycles... they are fast, they are fun, they are dangerous and adventurous and they have a smaller market share than cars! ha ha ha ha... just my two cents worth...

There is no right or wrong in opinions... only good and bad onions...

Well, BMW does make motorcycles you know :D

Back