Elgato Hybrid - no VCR signal

xuratoth

Registered
I have just bought an Elgato Hybrid (European model) to transfer my VHS tapes to DVD via iMovie.

The problem is that my VCR is quite old and only has a coaxial-out connection. No S-Video or Composite (hope I'm using the right terms here!).

According to the Elgato help file, this should still work though:

I have used a standard arial lead between the VCR and the Elgato unit, set the mode Tuner, the input to "Analog - Antenna PAL I", done an Auto-tune.

No joy. None of the 4 available analogue channels are displaying the picture.

Anyone have any ideas before I have to splash out on a new VCR which frankly I don't want to do as the whole point is to get rid of VHS tapes altogether!

Thanks.

Some VCRs allow you to adjust the channel on which it distributes the signal. If you _only_ connect the VCR to the Elgato Hybrid, the autotuning should find the signal, generally.

Hi Frye, thanks for the reply.

Actually, after I posted I realised that I had not tried the "Exhaustive Scan" option on the software side - It picked it up OK at that point.
Quality is not great, but good enough for now. I'm trying to find somebody who can lend me an S-Video VCR though, to see how much of an effect that has.

All I need now is an external firewire drive! Those video captures take up an awful lot of disk space.

Back