Elite!

rimawa

Registered
Greetings...

Does anyone remember the game "Elite"?

I had it on my BBC microcomputer and on my Acorn Archimedes A3000 many moons ago, and in my opinion, no game has ever been as epic, imagination-boosting and engaging as this classic. Graphics get better and better, but this game had it all and more without the need of perfected rendering and the latest graphics cards... Playability is all.

I am wondering what happened to it- why there is no OS X edition (or maybe there is??) - and why it doesn't seem to have been 'kept going' but left as a classic, slowly falling into the hallowed mists of gaming memory...

Any info/memories/opinion would be very welcome. I seem to remember the name David Braben as being the author / co-author??

Yours (mostly harmlessly),
Rich W
Oxford
UK

I imagine this is what you're talking about?

http://www.frontier.co.uk/games/elite/

It's possible that the company just didn't see any profitability after a certain point, which is why the just abandoned development of the game. However, you might want to see if someone developed a clone of the game and made it open source. THat's what usually happens with such old games. :)

Thanks for all that. A friend has tried Oolite and apparently it just doesn't have the feel of Elite...
Wikipedia mentions Elite 4, but at no point does anyone mention if an OSX version is being considered. I hope it is. David Braben is involved.
Thanks for your replies.
Rich

Back