EMac & Airport Express problem

Will_Richo

Green & Growing
Hi, i took delivery of my NEW E-Mac 1.25 USB2 machine on Monday! So pleased with it, UNTIL i rushed out to get myself an Airport Extreme card and installed it.
Once i had put the card into the machine (following the HOW TO on Apple site) i seen a sticker in the box stating you need to install the software 1st, by this stage i was already starting the machine up. So i went with it as is. When it was up, the airport card was recongnised straight away, i was asked to check it was configured right, and pressed OK. I started Safari and the opening page began to load, BUT was taking ages? i closed safari down and re-opened it, but from that point it has not been able to open ANY pages, i have checked the signal strenth and all is OK, it sees the router no problem. I put the supplied Apple software disc in for the card but it said the system was up to date? no need to install it?

What have i done wrong? I was told that the card i needed was the Extreme as my machine is new (USB2) is this right?
My home WIFI router is a BELKIN and my G4 PB works fine on it.
Could it be that i have 2 Machines called the same, ie they both have my Full name as the user?
Looks like the router is assigning an IP addy OK.
I have re-started the router etc and then turned all the machines back on NO LUCK.

The next thing i will try tonight is taking the card out, try to install the software again, then re-install the card?

Other than that im lost? My router is in the loft, and my machine is in the DEN, so i cannot run a cable easy, all my other WIFI enabled machines work fine from there.

Any help appreciated. Was looking forward to spending time in the den at Christmas Holidays configuring my new toy...;-(

:(

The next thing i will try tonight is taking the card out, try to install the software again, then re-install the card?

If the signal strength is okay, I'd blame the problem on something other than improper placement of the card. If I were in your place, I'd turn off airport... keep it off for ten seconds... then turn it back on. I'd let it sit there, doing nothing, for another ten seconds. Once that is done, I'd try connecting to the net. If unsuccesful, I'd open Network Utility (Applications :: Utilities) and use its ping feature. (Yeah, you said that IP assignment seems to be working fine, but you didn't specify how you figured this.) Is there a successful connection from eMac to router, according to the ping tests? If so, try pinging google.com. Also succesful?

Dusky said:
If the signal strength is okay, I'd blame the problem on something other than improper placement of the card. If I were in your place, I'd turn off airport... keep it off for ten seconds... then turn it back on. I'd let it sit there, doing nothing, for another ten seconds. Once that is done, I'd try connecting to the net. If unsuccesful, I'd open Network Utility (Applications :: Utilities) and use its ping feature. (Yeah, you said that IP assignment seems to be working fine, but you didn't specify how you figured this.) Is there a successful connection from eMac to router, according to the ping tests? If so, try pinging google.com. Also succesful?

No ping? tried google but said did not have a match? My G4 PB has no problem, so i know it is not the router.

Very odd? any more??????

Yeah i said it can not be the router DOHH !!!! WRONG. I have had to update to a newer model today and it is now fine.

:)

Back