eMac G4 1ghz 512mb, 2 different problems

chimac

Registered
I have 2 eMacs same G4 1ghz, 512mb, 80gb, superdrive

They both have problems:

First one turns on and only shows a blue screen nothing else and doesn't go anywhere farther from there.

The other one turns on and gets the the grey apple logo screen and shows the circle loading and will do that for about 2min and then will shut off.

I don't know what to do to fix any of these looking for some help.

Thanks in advance.

First off, both the eMac 1Ghz & 1.25 GHz had the bulged caps issue. You can see 3 of the 13 caps by removing the memory cover. At least one of the 3 will be bulged if the other caps are bulged. Apple was covering logic replacements for 3 yrs past the purchase date.

If no bulged caps, then I would suspect failing hard drives (that is if you can't boot to other devices to work on them). I've seen drives cause eMacs to power off during boot.

If a known good drive is installed in the unit, then I would suspect the Down Converter next. Measuring +5Vdc & 12Vdc at the SuperDrive connector is not a great indicator of a working Down Converter.

Of course, never overlook the easy and obvious, such as swapping memory, checking battery voltage, performing logic resets, disconnecting external peripherals and internal SuperDrive.

Good Luck!

I have 2 eMacs same G4 1ghz, 512mb, 80gb, superdrive. They both have problems:
First one turns on and only shows a blue screen nothing else and doesn't go anywhere farther from there.
The other one turns on and gets the the grey apple logo screen and shows the circle loading and will do that for about 2min and then will shut off.

This reads like hard drive boot sector problems. Depending on what OS version you're running, try booting from the Apple installation dvds (hold down the C key with dvd inserted and Restart), then run an analysis on the state of your hard drives. If you have Disk Warrior or TechTool, either can do the same thing and maybe repair whatever might be wrong.

Failing all repair attempts, I'd suggest hard disk replacement, with a Recovery program to aid in transferring the software and data from damaged disks to the new disks.

Good luck!

Back