eMac Hard Drive Replacement

Hughvane

Registered
About a month ago my eMac experienced some disk damage when a command overload caused chaos. Eventually the "Keys Out Of Order" fault was determined. This fault is, apparently, fixable with the use of Disk Warrior, an expensive exercise. Apple DU from the original disks cannot repair the fault.

For months I've been considering upgrading the HD in the eMac from its present 40 Gb, and soon that will happen. But now, whilst a replacement HD is cheaper than DW, I realise I don't quite know how to go about things.

The Upcoming Scenario
I have a shiny new Hitachi 250 Gb hard drive, plus an eMac that works, but not completely, because of the KOOO fault. Simple solution is to take the eMac and the new drive to a technician to do the replacement and cloning job, but that will take the total cost beyond that of buying Disk Warrior. I still plan to do the disk upgrade.

So, how does one go about formatting a new IDE hard drive with HFS+, and then installing Tiger from original Apple disks, without first putting that new drive into the eMac? I have IDE-USB adaptors etc to use a bare drive externally, but because of the KOOO fault I can't use any key commands once the blank HD shows up on the eMac desktop.

It's been suggested I use SuperDuper to make a backup of my current eMac's 40 Gb drive, but as I see it, that would simply duplicate the KOOO problem on the new 250 Gb drive.

Can anyone see a straightforward fix or workaround?

Hi Hughvane,

Is that KOOO fault the one responsible for your Menu Bar issue (eMac Menu Bar Failure) that you had a while back ... I didn't see any resolution here about that and am just wondering?

Sorry, for not having an answer to your above post (yet) ...

Is that KOOO fault the one responsible for your Menu Bar issue (eMac Menu Bar Failure) that you had a while back ... I didn't see any resolution here about that and am just wondering?

Correct - I appreciate your interest. One suggestion provided says replace the damaged disk with the Hitachi and get it set up etc with HFS+ and Tiger.

Thereafter put the damaged disk in an external enclosure and transfer the software thereon to the Hitachi. Actually I don't need an enclosure to do that as I'd use an IDE-USB adaptor from the bare drive. I can imagine the process would take a long time, but that's not a problem.

Back