eMac makes PC Magazine's Top Ten products to avoid

I read the article. To his defense, I have to say that there were other recommendations for Macs that were better within the article. However, he looked at the eMac as though it were aimed for someone looking to play games and such, While this is possible even with the eMac, it IS aimed for the low-end market and not for the crowd he was talking to in the article. It's a Mac that will let you do everyday things such as surf the web, chat, write up documents, do some basic photo editing for your pictures, and do some light gaming. Kind of like the low-priced PC systems that are out there. Yes, the eMac is much more powerful than those bargain bin PCs, but it's nowhere near an iMac G5 or Power Mac G5 when it comes to performance.

Personally, I never really liked Jim Louderback's recommendations, even when he was on TechTV (when it was a GOOD station :(). He always seemed to lean more towards Wintel than anything else, even when it wasn't the best option in my opinion as a geek. :p

I still think he was way off base to put it on the list of things to avoid. I can think of a half-dozen Wintels that I would avoid before buying an eMac. Besides, it is still in all technicality the Education Mac. People can just buy it if they want a basic PC to search the internet and stuff. This machine isn't supposed to break any records.

diablojota said:
I still think he was way off base to put it on the list of things to avoid. I can think of a half-dozen Wintels that I would avoid before buying an eMac. Besides, it is still in all technicality the Education Mac. People can just buy it if they want a basic PC to search the internet and stuff. This machine isn't supposed to break any records.

You're preaching to the choir. :D I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I'm just playing Devil's advocate. He did provide other Macs as better options, but I think that he was expecting a Civic to perform like an Porsche. Not gonna happen. I believe the eMac is a great machine no matter what. Nothing in the PC world within the same price range is as powerful as what the eMac is.

I'm not suprised but he didn't even bother to review the $999 model which does include a Superdrive DVD burner. If a person is going to review the "eMac" they shouldn't make false claims or suggestions what a product line does or does not have. He also avoided the iLife suite altogether because dread the thought it does better than any other software solution Microsoft or Dell has to offer. Yes I am preaching to the choir which I am suprised most of you sing, but hey, we all have our talents!
Screensavers lean on Windows like a crutch that is soon to break if they are not careful.

whoever wrote that article must be on crack. i have an eMac 1 Ghz and i play all the latest games, run n make all the latest software, and the performance is incredible. I play online games like warcraft3 jediknight academy wolfenstein, and my ATI Radeon 7500 is more than powerful enough for any of them. Not to mention running virtual pc at a quite acceptable rate, and pretty much emulating any game console out there! I run Photoshop 7, Elements, GoLive, Office 2004, flash, dreamweaver mxs, and its great for college (schoolwork) and works with ANY device seamlessly...

Watching all the latest movies, tv shows, this computer can do everything! There is no way any Windows or Linux computer will ever come close to the eMac. I got a DVD burner one and burning data and video DVDs is wonderful, he didnt even bother to mention the built in CD burner the $799 eMac has...

looking at an emac from a game frame of mind is like looking at a honda civic in a porche frame of mind. it is an education/consumer machine for goodness sake. all these reviewers just look at the consumer machines and seem to ignore the powermacs.

its just ignorance. anyone that really knows macs would not have written anything like that. anyone that doesn't know macs should not write about them.

I have advised two people to buy eMacs with super drives - my sister-in-law and a friend. The sister-in-law has become a total iMovie pro and is constantly sending out DVDs and slide shows from iPhoto too (my 3 nephews keep her busy). Note - she was a diehard Windows user from work experience and is now a total Mac convert. My friend is also using his eMac fo video and is also going nuts. Both could not be happier, especially for the price - a G4 1 Ghz for under a grand?

I have just purchased a Emac 1.25 (as per my sig) for home use. I got this version of mac so my children (2&3 y/olds) can start to use it without me fearing them touching the screen or messing with the agle of the monitor etc etc. I am looking forward to using it to its FULL capability. We intend it mainly for Video editing/making and photo work (of the kids) making & watching DVD's etc. As well as all the usual Office type roles. For the money it is SUPERB. And runs rings round low/middle end PC's.

ALSO IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!

The review is harsh.

Good for you Will Richo! With you and my two eMac users we now have 3 eMac users with video being their main task. Just try and buy a PC for video for under a grand to match an eMac! Firewire, a processor up to all the rendering required in video, a DVD burner AND editing software. I think the choice would be pretty clear.

I tried getting my new neighbors to get an eMac when they were looking for a new computer. It would have been perfect for them.

However, they wanted the cheapest computer they could find and $1000 just seemed a little on the high side. That coupled with the fact that they had a bunch of Best Buy cards to use and the Best Buy we went to didn't have any Macs. I also learned later that they own M$ stock... ::evil::

They bought a cheap PC and say that they are happy. :shrug: Maybe they are, but the eMac was still perfect for them, and a better fit than any Windows machine due to the iApps.

Back