eMac problems?

paracord

alone together
I just bought an eMac earlier and was wondering if anyone here has had a problem with thiers.
I've read many posts on apple's board complaining about eMac screen problems/death, but have not seen any problems with the one i got. So is everyone here happy or do the screen problems show up in a few days?

Come on someone reading this has to have an emac, so what are your experiences? Any problems, working great??

Give it a few days. I am sure someone will answer you.

If you haven't had any problems, you shouldn't worry. Besides, it is under warranty.

Hey, no problemos here buddy!
Bought it in june and it runs as smooth as something really smooth. and i for one think it is a really cool lookin computer! Its so Star Trek! :) i mean, from upfront it looks like a big rectangle flatscreen with rounded edges. And the chrome applelogo is very stylish! congratulations to a classic buy!

Good to hear considering every post on apple's eMac display board has to do with failure. Obviousley that is where people with problems go so the majority of topics would be with problems, but that can't possibly represent the majority of eMac's out there. I'm quite glad though cause it's a fairly nice comp for the cash.

I reckon it's actually damn ugly now that I've seen it it person, but that's just my experience ;)

Guess I just love my Lamp iMac too much ;)

I reckon that OS X looks better on a LCD display.

Our school district bought over 200 eMacs very early in their production. About 20 have failed for video problems already and Apple is replacing them. When they work right they are fine but it sure seems like they didn't have very good quality controls on the production line! :mad:

I have an eMac and I absolutely love it. No problems at all. I also think it's an awesome looking computer (I like the original iMacs).

That's just me, though. ;)

Do you guys with eMacs know what country yours was made in? Just curious, I don't know what other countries they're being manufactured in but there seems to a consensus among failed eMac owners that the problematic one are comming from China.

Originally posted by Decado
How can one tell where it is made? is there a secret code or something :)

It's stated on the box, my iMac box says "assembled in Korea" it may also be on a sticker on the bottom of the computer (or inside the drive door for an eMac).

Not on the inside of the drive-door. I'll check the box next time i'm digging through the zillion boxes infront of it in the storage room (my emac was the first thing i bought for my first apartment, and now after the usual Ikea-shopping (hey, i'm scandinavian:) ), lets just say i got a whole lot of boxes in the way :D

I understand, I've got that Ikea problem too :) my spare room is full of boxes...

btw it will be on the model/part number sticker on the side of the box.

It seems like it's our chinese buddies who have assembled my eMac :)
Then, if it's true that most of the problematic ones comes from china, i guess im lucky. Have only turned it of once in the last two months. Bought it cuz it was the only g4 i could afford, but now i would never trade it for an iMac. it feels really reliable (crystal-screens always freak me out for no sane reason :)

Cool, well thats one positive vote for the made in China eMacs. Perhaps you got one made after Apple found/fixed the manufacture problems.

Do you (or any other eMac owners) have the dancing/vibrating display problem, such as when a CD is spinning in the drive the bottom (or corners) of the screen seem to wobble. I think this is most noticable at high resolution. On this point I've read that the "wobble" will stop if you play a song in iTunes with visualisation turned on and "cap frame rate at 30 fps" enabled, if you want to do a test.

Just asking because I'm thinking of getting an eMac and don't want to end up with a lemon.

Highest resolution (1280x960), smashing pumpkins Mellon collie cd spinning, no wobble. i think someone is talking trash about the eMacs :D
I got one without the dvd or superdrive, just cdburner. and i have read that people who have these 'original emacs' and have a display problem sometime gets a new one instead with the dvd-drive (since it is cheeper than fixing the screen and they dont got the original in store) so if it broke i wouldnt feel that unlucky :)

This have really nothing to do with the above, but is there anyone who know how hard it would be to upgrade an eMac/iMac? I mean a simple upgrade, like replacing the nvidia mx2 with mx4 or something.

I'm pretty sure the graphics are built into the logic board on both, like the original iMac. The only way to upgrade an iMac would be to replace the whole logic board with one used in the 17" Superdrive model, however all eMacs use the MX2 so I don't think they can be upgraded. If you can find the service manual pdf files they should have all the details you need. They're called "imac.flatpanel.pdf", "imac.17-inch.pdf" and "emac.pdf" but I can't find and working links to them on Apples website.

Back