emac thoughts

dave17lax

Inventor of the Egg Wave
I just noticed that the emac is now "available for everyone". I haven't really compared it to the other models, but does it look like a good deal? if only the price were a few hundred less.

www.apple.com

[added url]

I think the price point is excellent. The only thing I would like to see is for Apple to update the G3 processor and the GPU in the CRT iMac (a G3 speed bump and upgrade to Radeon or GeForce2MX) and drop its price by a couple hundred dollars. That way Apple got all the price points covered.

i agree, the price is good, very reasonable. if i had the money right now i'd be seriously considering one of these eMacs.

Damn! It gets a CD-RW drive while the Education version (yes there still is an education version) gets a Combo drive!!!!

Consumer Version
The eMac comes with a CD-RW drive, perfect for playing CD-ROMs and burning your own music or data CDs. Note that recordable CDs cost less than $0.20 each, and can hold hundreds of MP3 files or 650MB of data — the equivalent of more than 450 floppy disks — making them the smart solution for saving digital media projects or sharing them with others.

Education Version
The eMac comes with a choice of two optical drives — either CD-ROM for schools that prefer non-recordable drives or a Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW), which is just what students need for storing classroom projects on data CDs and for watching DVD movies. Note that recordable CDs cost less than $0.20 each, and can hold 650 MB of information — the equivalent of more than 450 floppy disks — making them the smart solution for saving digital media projects, or sharing them with others. DVD playback allows students to view multimedia content on DVD. eMacs equipped with the Combo drive are Apple’s lowest-priced system to offer DVD playback.

Why is that a problem, Bling? You could get the education eMac, couldn't you?

I wish... I'm only in 10th Grade.... The eMac w/Combo is $1249 on the Education page... I guess they want to keep the eMac & New iMac apart in features a bit... plus, it's not like I can't buy a FireWire DVD (or DVD-R) drive!

Ah, I was under the assumption that high school students could get the education discount. That's too bad. Well, is it worth waiting? ;) Didn't think so. :D

that with the emac it was possible to get one without really proving you went to or worked at a school. that's probably changed now, if it ever was true to begin with.

i don't really know why i started this thread, as i have enough troubles paying the bills i have now let alone another mac bill.

ps...the ipod drained my account and i still haven't recovered. if i can find a decent way to listen to the damn thing in my car, it might be worth it.

Does the tape adapter solution not work well for the iPod in the car? I'm hoping to be able to use it like that (when I get myself an iPod).

Originally posted by homer
Does the tape adapter solution not work well for the iPod in the car? I'm hoping to be able to use it like that (when I get myself an iPod).

Works just fine for me. I'm using the cassette adapter that came with my portable CD player. Sounds great.

Great! Glad to hear it. So here's what I need to get in order for this to work for me:

1. A Mac that actually has Firewire (rev. A iMac here).

2. An iPod.

3. A car that has decent speakers (can you say Jetta Jukebox SE?) :D

That's it! :rolleyes: :D

after further review.... i have determined a few things....

1. the eMac is the best value in a computer Apple has ever released.

2. it has a high enough monitor resolution to actually do high end work like flash, photoshop, after effects and other apps with tons of pallettes.

3. the ibook sorely needs a G4 now.

high school students can get emacs. You have to set it up in your profile for the store, there will probably be a few schools listed in your area. Even if it isn't the one you attend (it could even be an elementary or middle school) I don't think it doesn't really matters.

Originally posted by Nafae
high school students can get emacs. You have to set it up in your profile for the store, there will probably be a few schools listed in your area. Even if it isn't the one you attend (it could even be an elementary or middle school) I don't think it doesn't really matters.
K-12 Education Institution
Higher Education Institution
K-12 Faculty and Staff
Higher Education Faculty, Staff, and Students

So... which one would I go to?

Does anyone else get confused every once in a while, thinking that Apple has decided to sell a text editor to students....?

(I'm talking about emacs for those of you that didn't catch it, and that's not a plural of emac.)

:p

Hmm... And you can get a couple of IMAX for only a few hundred bucks today? :) hehe...

Back