emac vs. 733 Quicksilver and 867 Dual

pbmac

MacTV is your friend
I need to find a replacement for my Quicksilver 733 MHz PowerMac.

I am really enticed by the Dual 867 MHz New August 2002 PowerMac. However, I could also go for the 800MHz Superdrive eMac which, incidentally, is about $300 less.

Here's the question:

Do you think the 800MHz eMac is faster than my "old" 733MHz QuickSilver PowerMac?

I don't need expansion possibilities and I don't need a monitor bigger than 17".

Also, will MacOS X 10.2 on the eMac be faster than OS 10.1 ?

Thanks,...

pbmac

10.2 will be faster than 10.1 on just about EVERYTHING... How ever, there is a lot more Dual Processor optimization in 10.2, and MANY popular OS X apps are now being optimized for Dual Processors... (check the apple site - new G4 section)

I'd say 6 months from now that 800Mhz emac is going to start feeling a bit sluggish, and the performance advantages that the faster bus, the DDR ram, and the video card have in the tower (not to even mention the Dual G4 factor) are well worth the $300...

Go for the dual, and save up for a Superdrive down the road...

-a

an 800 mhz eMac will not yield any noticeable difference over your 733 G4.

I also have a 733 G4 QS. Although the new duals are good, I am going to wait until January for the next iteration to upgrade. My computer is already fast enough for everything I do. Plus if you wait, you could maybe get the G5, bluetooth on board, etc, instead of waiting more time. 733 QS is still relatively new, if you ask me, for Apple computers.

Back