eMac

billsstills

Registered
Hello there,
I just got here and I'm feeling my way around, hopefully I can find the answers I need...

I really like Macs but I've had the same problem happen twice now.
I'm considering keeping more Macs than PC's but if I can't get my first Mac to work properly, I'll never buy another Mac again.

Last week it just stopped, froze for over an hour... hold the button and it turns off... turn it back on and blank screen.

I took it to a Mac dealer in Sydney, it's just barely out of warranty, I didn't pay for the extention of the warranty because I didn't think Macs were so bad that they wouldn't even last more than a year.

Right now it's doing the same thing... I paid for them to fix it... it seemed to work for the week but it's done the same thing again.
I put the 1st CD in again but can't remember which button to press/hold down to get it going.

I'm writing all this on my PC that's never missed a beat.
I'm gonna have a quick shower, I wonder if I'll have a responce when Iget back.
If I can fix it tonight and learn how to get it to turn on whenever this problem occurs... I'll send a cheque anywhere in the world as a thankyou.

The people at the Mac store shouldn't charge me for half a job. Why does it do this???

Regards,
Bill Zunic.
Advertising manager of NetFM, the worlds biggest internet broadcaster.

www.zunico.com
www.netfm.net

I put the 1st CD in again but can't remember which button to press/hold down to get it going.

"C" for CD. :)
If reinstalling the system doesn't resolve these issues for you, then there must be a serious fault with the hardware.

The people at the Mac store shouldn't charge me for half a job. Why does it do this???

Yes, you definitely have good reason to take it back to them and get them to fix the problem. However, its not really their fault if they didn't realise the problem was still there, so don't bag them out for it - I'm sure they'll be happy to help. You said yourself that "it seemed to work for the week" so it probably passed all their testing fine.

It would be really useful to know what symptoms it had to begin with, and what they did to repair the problem.

Like any other device, Apple computers can have their share of faulty units too ... at least I've found that their service is always excellent, their failure rate is less than half of that for HP, IBM or Dell, and most importantly they are willing to take responsibility for what they sell. I don't know how many times a PC manufacturer's support have told me "no, thats a Windows problem. We can't help you. You'll have to wait for a patch." *sigh*

here's ya answer, now send ya cheque to me LOL

I have one local apple dealer in my town, i don't know if I'd trust him for my emac which is still under Warranty, and repairs are like returning your Ford wagon to be repaired, having something fixed leads onto another problem.

So you take that Ford back to the service man and say, hey no, you didn't do this right, fix it proper. I will do the same for the eMac, take it back to get it done right, although you passed your warranty and paid the fee to get it fixed, there is no excuse why they shouldn't have done it proper the first place.

But sometimes things don't get looked at, service men don't look at everything. They see it work and as far as they are concerned their job is done and send it home, it's been the same as fixing a TV, radio anything.

When a Mac breaks down it's more of software problem and not hardware. Your best deal is to send me the cheque and take it back to the serviceman and say no you didn't fix it ;)

yeah OK, I'm not Doctor Spok... you'd understand then how someone would feel, frustrated out of my mind, when the computer just stops.

The Mac guys at Surry Hills will be very helpful alright, but I'm just so disapointed that now I have to wait till Monday.

I've got a wedding to shoot tomorrow... when I get home I just want to download the files... it seems now that I have to request a new hardrive and re-install everything before I can use the Mac.
That CRT screen is just the best screen on earth.

sirstaunch said:
here's ya answer, now send ya cheque to me LOL

I have a local apple dealer in my town, i don't know if I'd trust neither for my emac still under Warranty, and repairs are like returning your Ford wagon to be repaired, having something fixed leads onto another problem.

When a Mac breaks down it's more of software problem and not hardware. Your best deal is to send me the cheque and take it back to the serviceman and say no you didn't fix it ;)

No fix, no cheque.

billsstills said:
The Mac guys at Surry Hills will be very helpful alright, but I'm just so disapointed that now I have to wait till Monday.

I think if you explain what is happening to your eMac, details of everything, which eMac? OSX system? etc and what problems you may have to cause freeze? I'm sure someone will find the fix to get the cheque, you might need to reconsider the cheque idea and drop that idea, no one is after money here, except the admins could do with any donation, everyone here just want to help another Mac friend :)

When I was in iTunes last week listening to KinkFM, I went for a shower and when I got back it was spinning the little "hang on, wheel" kept doing it for over an hour, at which point I held the on/off button down till it re-booted... but it didn't re-boot, there was just a blank screen.
I called the Surry Hills shop and they... ... ... over the phone... ... ... eventually I brought it to them... ...

Now that it was working again, I downloaded Windows Media Player for Mac because the broadcaster I work for is a microsoft partner so the only way to listen to NetFM and keep tabs on what's going on is to use the windows player...
So I'm on the net on my PC while I do all the arty photo stuff on the Mac as I listen to NetFM... I go cook a BBQ for the wife and kids... when I get back, the screen saver is locked on one photo and there's no music... same thing as before... I press the button to re-boot after waiting for an hour for the computer to recover on it's own.

Blank screen.

It's got all the good stuff... 160gig hard drive, 1gig of RAM cuase they reckon it's all I'll ever need in this computer... super drive CD/DVD.
Only Nikon View/photo software and Photoshop CS are there...
Quite frankly, I loved it, till it died... now it's annoying me.

I'm about to spend hard earned cash on my next computer... at the moment, why would I buy another Mac??

For what it's worth... It seems that when a net station drops out... the computer tries to re-streem it(spelling?/correct word??)... it seems to balk on the re-streeming... while it's on the screen saver mode.
It looks to me like a software clash at the point of music V's screen saver... mind you... I'm a litle retarded when it comes to software issues but it does seem to be the conflict mentioned.
And now if I turn it back on... ... ... nothing!!

But as far as money and helping... I'm a real guy. I exist and I'm not a jerk normally, but I want the computer to stop stuffing me around.
I'm going to feint soon because I'm tired but I'm keen to get it working again.

Hi I am running emac on os x 10.2.8 and I am using a broadcom 2035 bluetooth dongle. Advertised for use on a mac but not on the packaging.

Downloaded all updates but still no joy.

The dongle works on my pc laptop, but not on the mac. Each time I click Bluetooth Assistant it comes up no hard can be found.

What do I have to do? Is their any driver to put on the system or have I waisted my money?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Billsstills,
It sounds like bad ram to me.
I had the same problem with an eMac . It was a defective stick-o-ram.
Good Luck

cyclyst1964 said:
Billsstills,
It sounds like bad ram to me.
I had the same problem with an eMac . It was a defective stick-o-ram.
Good Luck

Thanks man, It's back in the shop... sounds very reasonable to me... I'll call them first thing in the morning and remind them of this opinion.

Back