emacs with X11

Cow Loon

Registered
I want to have GNU emacs 20.7.1 with X support. Do you suppose I can get the source that apple used for their non X supporting version of gnu emacs?

There is a cocoa version of xemacs, but it's oooooooooooold:

http://homepage.mac.com/pjarvis/xemacs.html

Thanks sveijk for the pointer to xemacs. I actually want GNU emacs though, not XEmacs. I'll see if I can make use of the xemacs patch to compile GNU emacs.

I've installed XEmacs, and I'll check it out, but I have liked GNU emacs better in the past. I find XEmacs dired to be frustrating, and GNU emacs can save editing sessions (maybe XEmacs can now too).

Years later, you still have to go get some packages manually before you can use the XEmacs package management system. I have to manually create the ~/.xemacs directory. And without the packages your editor is rather disfunctional. Sheesh!

you can get the modified source from the apple opensource
site. Then recompile w/ the appropriate X-windows stuff.

You can also compile emacs 20.7.1 via fink to run under X11 (produces ~8M binary vs. the ~4M binary that comes with OS X). I stuck with 19.34 for a long time b/c I thought the MULE stuff had issues, but haven't used it enough to see.

(I was always happier with emacs vs. Xemacs)

Mike

Thanks. I made an initial stab at compiling the emacs from apple source and I get an error concerning an undefined function in libXpm. I'll look at it again in a little while.

What's fink?

Fink is a porting framework.

See http://fink.sourceforge.net/

You install Fink, then within it, you install the packages that have been ported. Much much easier.

Its like cpan for perl almost, although the apps it installs run on their own (vs. Perl modules).

Mike

I believe libxpm comes as part of XFree86 4.x. (which I assume you have installed if you are looking to run emacs under X) At any rate, I have it but have been having a similar problem compiling x3270. ld seems to think that _XpmReadFileTo Pixmap is not defined. However, it is in the library and the header. My configure script leads me to believe that they are findable. Manually pointing the linker at the library did not help. I greped the source for calls to that function in both underscored and non-underscored form, but came up empty. If you come up with a solution please let me know.

I'm sorry but I have to believe its a local installation problem.

That missing symbol doesn't happen for me and I also compiled X3270
just for laughs.

hjmpbg3:~/Documents/sw] howardm% nm /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.a |grep ReadFile
00000170 t _OpenReadFile
00000000 T _XpmReadFileToImage
000000f8 T _XpmReadFileToXpmImage
U _XpmReadFileToImage
00000000 T _XpmReadFileToPixmap
00000000 T _XpmReadFileToData
U _XpmReadFileToXpmImage
00000000 T _XpmReadFileToBuffer

The 'T' means it is defined and in the text section of the library.

Originally posted by sveijk
I'm sorry but I have to believe its a local installation problem.

That missing symbol doesn't happen for me and I also compiled X3270
just for laughs.

hjmpbg3:~/Documents/sw] howardm% nm /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.a |grep ReadFile
00000170 t _OpenReadFile
00000000 T _XpmReadFileToImage
000000f8 T _XpmReadFileToXpmImage
U _XpmReadFileToImage
00000000 T _XpmReadFileToPixmap
00000000 T _XpmReadFileToData
U _XpmReadFileToXpmImage
00000000 T _XpmReadFileToBuffer

No reason to be sorry. I already nm'ed LibXpm and got the same value as you. That is what I meant when I said the function was defined in the library.

I've had similar problems with compiles on other apps... here's were things get kooky... and someone more unix/make based will need to advise, but I found that some libs needed me to run ar or ranlib on them? Something about generating, updating essentially(?) their table of contents?

Wish I could remember where I found this tip, but you may want to pursue this kind of debug path.

Cheers,
Mike

FWIW, libxpm is available from

http://www.darwinfo.org/ports.shtml

Mike

Back