email addresses in address book

Racquelle

Registered
When I go to type an email address in Mail it is completed automatically. But these email addresses are not kept in Address Book. What do I need to do so that the email addresses that are known to Mail are automatically stored in Address Book?

FWIW, Mail.app stores the email addresses of all the people you have sent an email to.

In Mail.app, go to Window ~> Previous Recipients

The ones that are already in your address Book have an icon to the left of them.

Highlight all the addresses you wish to add to your Address Book then click the "Add To Address Book" button to complete this.

Thanks VirgilTracy, that is useful to know.
Do you know of any way that I can get email addresses that I type in Mail to be automatically added to Address Book?

Well, AFAIK, it's able to be done when someone sends you a reply to an email or just an email in general ...

To add a sender to the Mac OS X Address Book from Mail quickly:

• Open a message from the sender you wish to add.
    [*]Press Command-Shift-Y.

This adds the sender's email address (together with his/her name, if one appears in the From: line) to the address book without prompting you at all.

this answered one of my questions, thanks virtualtracy. i'm just switching data from my 10.3.9 desktop to my new 10.5.4 laptop. i got my mailboxes just fine, but do you know how to get the addresses imported?

this answered one of my questions, thanks virtualtracy. i'm just switching data from my 10.3.9 desktop to my new 10.5.4 laptop. i got my mailboxes just fine, but do you know how to get the addresses imported?

If you mean the Address Book contacts .... just drag them from the Address Book.app, onto your Desktop in Panther to create the .vcf file then move them over to the Leopard computer and drag them into Address Book to have them added.

If your email contacts aren't in your Panther Address Book, open up Mail.app and then an email you've received from a friend then go to:

Mail ~> Add Message To Address Book ( keyboard shortcut = ⌘Y)

hey virtual tracy. thanks for your reply. it put me onto this, a quicker way: go to your old address book, click on edit/select all (all addresses should be highlighted), then click on file/export v-card and save as vCards onto desktop, then open the desktop on the other computer and drag the v-Card icon over to the new address book. cool! i thought i was going to have to drag and drop each individual address.

hey virtual tracy. thanks for your reply. it put me onto this, a quicker way: go to your old address book, click on edit/select all (all addresses should be highlighted), then click on file/export v-card and save as vCards onto desktop, then open the desktop on the other computer and drag the v-Card icon over to the new address book. cool! i thought i was going to have to drag and drop each individual address.

Ha! Excellent, thewoman :)

I have an iBook running 10.3.9 but I rarely use it and yesterday, I was running back and forth between them trying to get to the bottom of things.

I didn't realise that the Export V-Card option is invisible in Panthers Address Book until you highlight an entry or group of entries ... ;)

I didn't mean to imply that you needed to drag/drop them individually and I actually dragged them in a group onto the Panther Desktop then went back to my Tiger iMac and using the Network, I logged onto the iBook, opened the Desktop folder of the iBook on my iMac and simply dragged them onto Address Book. Which is the same method I believe you used ...

FWIW, in Tiger, the Export Group V-Card is available at all times ... now I've learnt something new ... merci ;)

Back