email.app won't send mails in outbox

francis_jeff

Registered
I'm a iMac novice (I've moved from Windows). When I write new emails, sometimes (and ONLY sometimes), it keeps them in the outbox for indeterminate periods - up to many hours. I can still receive emails while there's one in the outbox, so it can't be a connection problem, and I've got only one account. Outlook Express has a "Send" button, and I'm regretting losing that facility with the iMac.

Needless to say, the one that's stuck there now (and for the last 4 hours) is urgent. I've tried quitting Mail, and re-starting, to no avail. Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

What is the port in outgoing mails? If it's 25, can you try with port 587?
"Get mail" should also send..

Incoming is fine, outgoing .. select from list, and edit/add to change the ports.

I looked at mail/Window/Connection Doctor, and clicked the show detail button. I scrolled up the list, and found that the SMTP port is indeed 25. But the Network Diagnostics button is greyed-out. The smtp Account name status is red, and offers advice about the server supporting SSL, and unchecking it if it doesn't. I think it does, but can't be sure.

I have looked at the mail/Preferences/accounts, and the Outgoing Mail Server is correctly set to the smtp which usually works (it is shown as offline at present, as reflected by the Connection Doctor display mentioned above). The Use only this server box is ticked. But I'm not offered anywhere to modify the port to be used.

Could you suggest where to find a facility to change the port as you advise, please?

From the preferences, that account, the outgoing.. "edit servers" gives the list and change option.

OK, I did that. If I changed from port 110, neither the POP3 or smtp servers could be found by the connection doctor.
then I had a look at the accounts/advanced box, and I found that the smtp server has the default ports 25, 465, 587 radio button active. It seems that your suggestion is in place already.
Incidentally, the long-delayed email was sent after about 9 hours in the outbox without me doing anything to help it along!
Thanks for you patience with me, by the way.

Back