email duplicates - "ghosts"? "Sent"?

concettaz

Registered
For the past few weeks, I have been helping a friend, "Tano", by email. He recently moved from OS 7 to OS X (can you imagine?). Most of what we've doing has had to do with Mail.
When I began, everything was fine in MY Mail. However, after endlessly fiddling with my settings, folders, prefs, smart mailboxes etc, my Mail became really sick. It's taken about a day, but I have been able to fix everything - except one thing.
When I do a search for "To Tano" or "From Tano", the emails that show up have 2 copies, one of which is normal, and the other which says "The message from ... has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it." - and this "ghost" does not tell me which Mailbox it's in.
The pairs are shown as having the same size. This also happens when I create a Smart Mailbox.
How do I get rid of the "ghost" ones? (there are hundreds)

One more thing:
in my actual Mail folders, there are duplicates in the "Sent" folder - one copy in the main "Sent" folder, and one copy in the "sent" sub-folder "concetta@hit.net". But both these copies are "normal", with text etc.

Back