email server setup and DNS issues

Macholic

Registered
Dear sir or madam,

I want to setup a mail server from a Mac OS X server machine.

I used the standard configuration as the wizard is going to setup all the services automatically.

I have an email of the kind server.com

After the finish of the configuration all the system was working perfectly, except one thing. I could not browse to any .com address I could not resolve the apple.com address. This is actually a DNS server issue and as my DNS server is hosted to my ISP, I closed the DNS service from the Server admin app. Now I could browse to .com addresses but all the settings to the client computers need to be done manually. Meaning not from the Directory utility. The problem is that the address of the server was changed from server.com to server.local so all the settings now are server.local, including my email address that changed from user@server.com to user@server.local that cannot be replayed from the recipient

My Question is can I change the default configuration settings that the directory utility sets?? or do any other configuration to solve the issue.

Also in the webmail when I send an email the email of the sender is the username continued by the ISP's internal static IP host which is different to my server.com. I found a solution to change the email from the personal information tag of the options button. Can I also pre configure these settings to be ready as a new user is created??

Normally this happens when you have your own DNS server.

if your own DNS server can not resolve an entry, than it should transfer the request to the next level in the DNS resolving. This seems to fail. This is a problem in the configuration, usual in the order in which resolving is done. I would have to look into that.

Do you have your own DNS server and what is its configuration.

Good luck, Kees

Back