emergency file recover help (oversaved MS Word document)

TheBattman

I'd rather be fishin'
OK - so I just spent the last several hours working on two assignments. Had two similar format reports to do.

I completed the first and saved it to my USB thumb drive. Great.

I then used the original document as a template for the second report (similar headers and such) and simply deleted the content and typed again.

After spending another hour and a half, I simply clicked save (instead of save-as so I could change the file name) and now I have only one project.

What I am hoping is that there is a temp save that Word does somewhere by some name....

I'm not going to quit word just yet, hoping that I can somehow recover the original (although I know that that is not likely).

Any suggestions (other than to bash my forehead against the brick wall)?

I am just sick over my stupidity - and I really don't have the time to go back and do it all again....arrrrrggghhh!

MDD Dual 1Ghz OS10.4.7
Office 2004
PNY Attache' 512MB drive

I have Drive Rescue X, but it says it cannot recover files unless I can manually proved the allocation bloc size (it is unknown to the app).

Try looking in /Users/<yourusername>/Microsoft User Data for the autosaves.

About Autosave:
I turned on the AutoRecover feature before I lost my document, but the recovery file didn't open automatically.
When you restart a Microsoft Office program after a power failure or similar problem, the program automatically opens any recovered files. If for some reason the recovery file didn't open, you can open it yourself.
1. On the Standard toolbar, click Open .
2. On the Show pop-up menu, click All Documents.
3. Locate the folder that contains your recovery files.
Each recovery file is named "AutoRecover save of file name."
4. Open the recovery file.
5. Click Save .
6. In the Save As box, enter the name of the existing document.
7. When you see a message asking whether you want to replace the existing document, click Yes.
Any recovery files that haven't been saved are deleted when you quit WorTips
&#8226; If you can't open the recovery file, you can try to recover the text from the damaged file.
&#8226; To find out or change where your recovery files are stored, click Preferences on the Word menu, and then click File Locations.

Back