EMERGENCY ISSUE: Cannot use keyboard

Scottfab

Helpless Mac Newbie
I cannot type anything. Nothing at all. I sometimes get the error TSMProcessRawKeyCode failed. I tried booting from the cd, but I dont want to have to reinstall the entire OS. Can someone tell me what to do?

a short hint as to configuration will get you more help. Wired or wireless kbm? System? Machine?

There seems to be a lot of "should I reinstall the system" going around these days, perhaps because many switchers are used to it as the solution to a large number of windoze problems. You shouldn't have to reinstall the system. I haven't done it on a Mac since 1996 when an OS 7 virus mucked things up. Of course you may reinstall when upgrading systems, but as a maintenance technique - it is not usually needed. I even had the terrible "no parking sign" that indicated that a system file was corrupted (due to premature disconnect while it firewire target mode) - DiskWarrior put all to rights.

I shouldve installed Diskwarrior when I had the chance.

15" Powerbook, 10.3.9. The issue is probably related to my mucking around with language and input files with Monolingual.

If you have the diskwarrior cd - it is bootable and will do it's magic, even when the system on your hd is toast.

Is Monolingual a program, or were you fiddling with the system? If it is a program, you should be able to delete it using the command line (single user mode) along with the finder preferences that you'll find in your user directory

Is there another Mac and a firewire cable you can use? You could put the pb in target disk mode (press T while starting up) and access it from the other Mac. That would make it easier to trash prefs and programs...

Monolingual is a program that simply removes extra language localizations from all of your apps (as well as the system, I believe)... and, for me... it has worked with every system and OS version I've used it on, so far. All it does is go in, find the folder labeled "jp" or whatever, and deltes the japanese language...

not the language, istelf, I meant. you know what I mean.

If you killed your input interface, you may really need to reinstall your system.

One thing to try could be a keyboard driver from another provider ?

Back