Emulating Windows vista on a powerpc mac?

Virtual PC might be able to do this. You could also try Q which is free.

As for speed, it's not going to be fast. Remember you're emulating x86 on a PPC environment, and the speed of that emulation depends on the power of your CPU and related components. But no, it's not going to be as fast (or even close to fast) as running it natively on a PC.

I used to run XP on a 667MHz G4, your 350 MHz G3 will be painfully, agonizingly, dreadfully slow.

IMHO ;-)

Just forget about it. If you want to run Windows apps, go with Win98 or Win2K in VPC instead. If it's Vista's glorious new over-hyped look and features you want, you'll need a decent PC. Something like a MacBook or a Mac Pro. I guess your intention is more than just "barely have it running" in order to open Notepad.exe and write a few lines of text. (But even that might be stressing a G3 and VPC, which even for Win2K and Win98 was, let's say, low-spec experience...)

VPC 7 runs anything older than Windows 2000 only as an unsupported OS. The G5 requires VPC 7, but the G3 and G4 should get along just fine with VPC 6 which will also run Windows 98 as a supported OS.

No, to be honest there is no point of installing vista, It will look exactly like tiger im just getting it to rip it (and show my dad that mac is better) :D

You wont be doing anything of the sort running Vista on a G3 :). Vista on it's own already has some hefty requirements. To run it under emulation would usually double or triple that requirement, which is way beyond what the G3 is capable off.

Like fryke said, to run Vista properly you're looking at using Macbook/Macbook Pro class hardware. That's running it native, running it under emulation ...

To play devil's advocate here, I have recently installed the pre-RC1 of Windows Vista and even though it IS very Mac-ish, it's quite promising. The Beta 2 was abysmal in performance and usability (I had this running on my Athlon XP that's described in my sig). Since I've installed pre-RC1, I'm very impressed with the improvements to it, and it's surprisingly fast compared to Beta 2. It felt like running an XP install on that Athlon, so that's promising.

Still, you won't get the experience you expect (even if you expect it to run slow) with Vista under emulation. It's just too demanding on emulated systems like that. However, through Boot Camp it would perform extremely well.

hmm... i was just thinking about moving this thread to the mac os x system & software forum, because i think we created _this_ forum for ways to run Windows and other OSs on intel Macs... then again, i guess it's not really a problem and it _is_ about "running other OSs on your Mac", at least, although not about virtualisation.

I have G4 eMac 1GHz 512MB ram running Windows MicroXP in Q but it is awfully slow. If you have Leopard, could that be slowing you down because I do, with only 37GB HD

It has nothing to do with Leopard. Emulation of Windows on a PPC Mac is going to be dreadfully slow no matter what version of OS X you're on.

Back