enabling root user

Aussie John

Registered
i believe to enable the root user you need to use the NetInfo manager
and go to: enable root user in the domain/security menu.
Trouble is it is greyed out.:( Any thoughts? I am the only user on the machine.
Thanks John

I learned how to do this myself from this site.

On the NetInfo Manager click on the padlock on the bottom left-hand side. This will pull up a window and ask for the admin user name and password( for me the admin name is already there).

THESE DIRECTIONS WILL SET THE ROOT PASSWORD TO THE SAME AS THE ADMIN, THAT A SAFE THING TO MAKE THEM THE SMAE PASSWORD.

Once you have don this the padlock is unlocked. An easy way to assign the root password is to goto the user list (middle list box, at bottom) select the admin user name on the right list box. I the bottom window there will be the a list of variables scroll down to password, and double click on the password, it show be come a field you can edit ( and highlighted ) the either go to edit copy or use the command c to copy. Be care for not hit any other key or you could wipe out the password. (if you don't feel comfortable edit copy then right down the password as it is (it as case sensitive). The password is encrypted.

Now go to the root user and in the value field for password you can now put in using command v (menu bar edit paste) or type in the values, don't forget to double click to enter the info.

The all what is needed to be down is under file menu click the save or command s.

Open a terminal and type su it will prompt for a passord, enter the admin password it now us the root password.

GOOD LUCK

Back