Encoding AAC with DRM

iMacLover

Registered
I don't know if anyone has thought about this or not. But can you encode your own tracks with DRM so that people can't steal your music? All the tracks would have the same rights as downloaded ones, but they'd be ripped from your own CD.

\Steal\, v. t. [imp. Stole; p. p. Stolen; p. pr. & vb. n. Stealing.] [OE. stelen, AS. stelan; akin to OFries. stela, D. stelen, OHG. stelan, G. stehlen, Icel. stela, SW. stj["a]la, Dan. sti[ae]le, Goth. stilan.] 1. To take and carry away, feloniously; to take without right or leave, and with intent to keep wrongfully; as, to steal the personal goods of another.

Ricky said:
\Steal\, v. t. [imp. Stole; p. p. Stolen; p. pr. & vb. n. Stealing.] [OE. stelen, AS. stelan; akin to OFries. stela, D. stelen, OHG. stelan, G. stehlen, Icel. stela, SW. stj["a]la, Dan. sti[ae]le, Goth. stilan.] 1. To take and carry away, feloniously; to take without right or leave, and with intent to keep wrongfully; as, to steal the personal goods of another.

I'm accepting his use of "steal" as the recording industry's usage of "steal", which is basically to copy. After all, if someone were to really *steal* his music, what would he care of drm or not? he wouldn't have it.

What if I just didn't want anyone to be able to play the music I paid for? I'm not an idiot that you are making me sound like.

I think that's a very reasonable concept, doesn't sound stupid at all to me.

What's even more interesting to me than DRM-ing CD rips is DRM-ing my own home-grown music. I never thought about how I might do that. Course, I have no hopes or aspirations of my music being stolen or even really listened to, so it doesn't really matter.

I don't know the answer though.

I beleive Apple have released a tool to encode music into protected AACs, and upload it to them. Surely you could use this without actually uploading them.

iMacLover said:
What if I just didn't want anyone to be able to play the music I paid for? I'm not an idiot that you are making me sound like.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make you sound like an idiot. I just wondered why you wanted it to be encoded.

And how are people going to get copies of the songs you rip?

You get the tool to encrypt with Apple's DRM when you get signed up with a music label that lists your music on the iTMS. That's the only way to get their encryption software.

The whole point of it was to allow independant artists to submit their music for sale on the itms.

I could be wrong here, but if I remember correctly, I heard that the DRM used by Apple that they call "Fair Play" is an encryption method they are licensing from somebody else, as such they probably couldn't release it without paying royalties. Granted, I could be way off here. Just thought I read that somewhere.

Just a thought here... If you do your own music and are not a celebrity yet: DO spread your music on illegal filesharing sites! As much as you can, in fact. Until people start asking where one can buy it... ;-)

On topic, rather: If you'd encode AACs with Apple's DRM - how would you authenticate users?

fryke,

I think that's more of a concern to the record companies. After all, their big plus to artists is distribution. They - up until the internet - were able to record, produce and distribute music faster then the artists could.

But with little 'free music' places popping up all over the net, suddenly any joe with a guitar as a shot at exposure.

Back