Encoding DVDs in MPEG4

Kinniken

Registered
Does QT6 allow you to do that? If it does, how does it compare to Divx 4/5 in terms of file size/qualtiy ratio and encoding/decoding power needed?
I've got loads of DVDs for my TV, but at university I havnt got one (and no DVD drive on my mac either), so I need to put all this in Divx/MPEG4... and I'm tired of having to ask PC friends to do it for me.

TIA

Well, since all the current DVD Players I've seen only encode in MPEG-2, I don't think it'd be very useful to make one MPEG-4... Maybe Apple can release the first MPEG-4 DVD Player...

Well, since all the current DVD Players I've seen only encode in MPEG-2

Eh, do you mean they only decode MPEG2? That's not realy the problem, since QT6 will read MPEG4 files... so if it is possible to encode a DVD in MPEG4, it should be possible to then read it using QT6. The hard part is encoding it. And I'll like to know how it fares compared to DIVX encoding (quality/file size ratio)

Don't think QT6 lets you rip DVD's.
But, correct me if I am wrong, DivX is just a modified (hacked) version of the MPEG4 codec. Video quality should be comparable.

But it should be possible to find an app that does... as for the MPEG4/DivX relationship, I belive Divx is a bettered version of an old MPEG4 codec, which gives it better quality than the old MPEG4; however, QT is supposed to include enhanced MPEG4 codecs with a better quality than the old one, and I do not know which of DivX or the new MPEG4 wins...

Originally posted by Kinniken
But it should be possible to find an app that does... as for the MPEG4/DivX relationship, I belive Divx is a bettered version of an old MPEG4 codec, which gives it better quality than the old MPEG4; however, QT is supposed to include enhanced MPEG4 codecs with a better quality than the old one, and I do not know which of DivX or the new MPEG4 wins...

DivX is an based on an improved alpha version of MPEG4, comes in about a million different flavours for some reason, and half of them I can't seem to play properly.

It is possible to encode any Mpeg2 video in Quicktime6 into Mpeg4, the problem is when you want to get that Mpeg2 Video off a DVD.

DVDs ar generally encoded to make it anoying to get the Mpeg2 off them.

If you get a program called OSEx and an Mpeg2 encoder and an ac3 encoder... then you can make a MPEG4 rip.

There aren't any good all in one rippers out there.

Originally posted by xLEE

DivX is an based on an improved alpha version of MPEG4, comes in about a million different flavours for some reason, and half of them I can't seem to play properly.

It is possible to encode any Mpeg2 video in Quicktime6 into Mpeg4, the problem is when you want to get that Mpeg2 Video off a DVD.

DVDs ar generally encoded to make it anoying to get the Mpeg2 off them.

If you get a program called OSEx and an Mpeg2 encoder and an ac3 encoder... then you can make a MPEG4 rip.

There aren't any good all in one rippers out there.

XLEE, have u tryed VLC to play your movies?
I haven´t faild me once.

Okay, so I would use 0SEx to copy the DVD to my harddisk. I then have .vobs on my harddisk.

Next steps to my MPEG-4 file of a movie...

1) 0SEx for DVD to harddisk.
2) ? for extracting MPEG-2 video track
3) ? for extracting AC3 sound track
4) QT6 (?) to convert MPEG-2 video track to MPEG-4 video track
5) QT6 (?) to convert AC3 sound track to MP3 or AAC sound track
6) QT6 to combine the video and sound tracks and save them into one file

Would that be it? I'm longing for a way to backup my huge DVD collection on to CD-Rs, really. Please, can somebody with the knowledge™ tell me what to put inside the question marks?

Next steps to my MPEG-4 file of a movie...

1) 0SEx for DVD to harddisk.
2) ? for extracting MPEG-2 video track
3) ? for extracting AC3 sound track
4) QT6 (?) to convert MPEG-2 video track to MPEG-4 video track
5) QT6 (?) to convert AC3 sound track to MP3 or AAC sound track
6) QT6 to combine the video and sound tracks and save them into one file
[/B]

Ummm almost.... though it might go a bit more like this...

[1] OSEx to Decode the vob and split it into it's different tracks... Mpeg2 video, AC3 sound and I think it's PCM sound or something.

[2]Now go and get mpeg2decX 0.17 and drop your .m2v file on it... you might like to use a bitrate calculator to work out what bitrate will fit onto one CD (or two if you are splitting it).

[3] While your video track is getting encoded, grab a copy of mAC3dec and do the same sort of thing... I don't think it let me make a aac audio file out of it but you can always go to aiff then use QT to make it aac but that is a pain in the ass.

[4] Open up the mp4 in QT and insert your audio track.

There you have a nice movie ripped in mp4... now if someone would like to combine that into one step for me, and while you're at it make it so I don't have to rip the entire DVD to my disk before I encode... cause I only have 20Gb of disk space.

but does mpeg2decX do 'real' MPEG-4 or just some variant of DivX? I want MPEG-4 with sound (MP3 or AAC) that just run in QuickTime 6 - without any funky DivX plugin.

Originally posted by fryke
but does mpeg2decX do 'real' MPEG-4 or just some variant of DivX? I want MPEG-4 with sound (MP3 or AAC) that just run in QuickTime 6 - without any funky DivX plugin.

It's real MPEG4 it uses quicktime to do it... QT just can't read MPEG2 at the moment(that's why you need a mpeg2 decoding program), though I heared they were going to have that in the proper version of QT6.

Okay. Got QuickTime 6, got the Apple MPEG-2 decoder. I can use 0SEx to get a .vob to my harddrive, demuxed, so I have a .m2v movie and an .ac3 sound track. I've made an MP3 from the AC3 file and I've put the MP3 into the movie in QuickTime Player. But QT6 won't let me export that as an MPEG-4 file, says something like 'can't export, because parts of your movie are rubbish' (those are, of course, NOT the exact words used).

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I'm able to make DivX quite well by now, which is a relief, as I now know that I have backups of my DVDs (or at least 3 out of 200 for now). But I'd rather do them completely in QuickTime 6 as MPEG-4.

What is your method for converting DVD to DivX? The best way is to rip a vob file with OSex and then convert to DivX (.avi) with MacDivXCreator or ffmpegX. Then fix the audio with divx doctor and sync audio (if needed) with QT Mutator. If you're into making VCD's you can also use ffmpegX to take VOB files (and many other formats - including DivX) and convert them to MPEG-1 (and also generate a toast ready .bin file) If you're familiar with the VCD creation process, this saves alot of time. BTW, the MPEG-1 encoder is alot faster than the Toast encoder in QT.

That's fine and all, but I want to create .mp4 movies. MPEG-4 totally. And I thought QuickTime 6 with MPEG-2 codec (for reading) would be enough.

Well, perhaps not too helpful but, if any of you read German, there's the latest issue of the german Mac magazine "MacLife" featuring a tutorial to that regard.
From the description: "You wanna know how to create mpeg4 videos from DVDs and burn them on CD ? ...5 page, step by step tutorial...".
Perhaps I gonna buy it and translate it for you...
Er... Fryke, you can read it anyway, can't you ?

Back