Energy saver

Jethack 1

Registered
I can't make my iMac go to sleep using the system preferences energy saver. Even though I have it set to sleep after 15 minutes, it will not go to sleep. Even if I change the time, and re-lock the padlock, it will not go to sleep unless done so from the manually from the Apple menu. How can I make it sleep using the energy saver? Thanks.
Rick

has it always been like this, or only recetly?

I can offer perhaps the simplest cause/solution until the geniuses get here.

Could it be that there is a process running that is preventing your mac from sleeping. For example, if you are encoding video, or downloading a file, the computer will, of course, not go to sleep and disrupt that process. Therefore, maybe there is some sort of process running that you're not aware of.

have a look in Activity Monitor (in Applications > Utilities) and see if there is anything running.

If not, give us some more info that may help, ie: have you installed anything new lately (apps, updates), your OS version, hardware, etc.

Got anything being used while this does not happen? Such as powered USB hubs connected to the Mac.

Thank The Cheese said:
has it always been like this, or only recetly?

I can offer perhaps the simplest cause/solution until the geniuses get here.

Could it be that there is a process running that is preventing your mac from sleeping. For example, if you are encoding video, or downloading a file, the computer will, of course, not go to sleep and disrupt that process. Therefore, maybe there is some sort of process running that you're not aware of.

have a look in Activity Monitor (in Applications > Utilities) and see if there is anything running.

If not, give us some more info that may help, ie: have you installed anything new lately (apps, updates), your OS version, hardware, etc.
Thanks for the response. In checking the activity monitor, nothing appears to be running that I do not know about. I have an OSX 10.3.9. I've had it for about a year and a half. I did not have a problem with this until maybe a year ago. That's about all the info I can give you. Sorry.
Jetman

Back