Entourage 2004 - Images on HTML emails don't display, even after clicking "download"

fair_rakel

Registered
I've tried looking at the preferences, nothing I change seems to work. I also followed some advice about adding images to the MIME settings for QuickTime, which seemed to solve the original posters problem, but it doesn't do anything for me. See post here.

This doesn't seem to happen with ALL HTML emails, which is really the most confusing part about all of this. I design and create HTML emails for clients, so I like to be able to test them before sending out... they work fine in all of the other programs I test in, but for some reason, nobody in our office can see the images when I send them to my work email and view through Entourage 2004. However, we have been able to see some images in HTML emails sent by other people. I generally send them out using GMAIL because I like the way it handles the HTML.

Attached is an image of what it looks like in Entourage to give you a better idea.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 10
Wow, have I really stumped everybody? Well, I'm still having this problem with every computer in our office that uses Entourage 2004. I asked for some advice on this issue from someone who sends out HTML emails, and he said that sending html emails from desktop email programs can produce undesirable results, so I downloaded Max Bulk Mailer and DirectMail to test, and neither of them would display the images.

HOWEVER, sometimes, people send HTML emails and we get the images just fine. I thought, well, maybe it's our mail server? So I tried a different email account that's on a different server... same result. I've used gmail & yahoo... same thing.

The only other thing I can think of is that it has something to do with our local connection. I'll try sending some out from home and see if they come through. If that doesn't work then I am all out of ideas. Hours of searching the internet has produced no results. All of the possible settings have been checked that relate to HTML emails, images, and displaying them.

A problem? That is how I'd say Outlook and Entourage should behave :)

Viewing images in html is bad karma, it will prove the evil spammers and newsletter senders that you exist and view those images.

But that aside - sometimes when the images aren't displayed that can happen if they link them with a href to server and those images have been removed before you read the mail (just as if you viewed a webpage with a href when the images are removed).

I'm not sure what settings you can set on exchange server - but by default in any mail client I set the html images off. If I need to view it I can always download the images message by message. Most likely there is a setting for exchange server to set these settings server by server so I wouldn't be surprised if e.g. all gmail mails would be html off.

I know the images are still located on the server, I put them there and haven't removed them. Also, if I look through the same email account but through the webmail offered through my host, I see the images just fine.

I understand that email programs turn images off by default and that you have to click to have images displayed. That is fine, but when I click to display images... they still just don't show up. I'm attaching a recent screencap so you can see what I mean... with before I click on download images and after.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 4
Do you know if there are any gpos that could interfere with showing the pictures?
Do you get the same error if using outlook/do other users with the same provider or domain get the same error when using outlook?

GPOs: What is a GPO? Google is telling me group policies, group purchasing organization, and government printing organization.

Outlook: We don't have outlook on our macs, but we do have one PC in the office. I just sent the email to my email account, and the account using outlook on the PC, and the one in outlook works once I press to download images. And, of course, the one in entourage is doing the same thing it always has.

On Friday I'm going to try and send an email from home to the office and see if that works... because the only thing I can think of is that there is something with our connection at the office... no clue.

Again, if I open up my webmail, I can see the images just fine. It's just entourage.

Group policies in the AD domain.
Outlook is of course on the PCs - but as the domain accounts usually use the same server details, most of the cases exchange, so if the issue happened also when using Outlook and PCs, then it could be due to the GPOs.

Back