Entourage 2004 & Tiger - attachments are corrupt

antonioconte

Registered
Especially Pdfs I send, attachments are corrupt when they are sent from Entourage now - has anyone come up with a solution other than "use Mail" thanks in advance as this is such a huge blunder on Microsoft & Apple's part - can't see how they missed this!

antonioconte said:
.... thanks in advance as this is such a huge blunder on Microsoft & Apple's part - can't see how they missed this!
Exactly how is your problem Apple's fault? Entourage 2004 does some mindnumbingly stupid things. In my 16 years of using Apple products, I have seen some astonishingly brilliant products. I have also found some things that I disagree with. However, I never saw a mindnumbingly stupid Apple product. Entourage 2004 is Microsoft all the way.

Agreed but surely there should be some communication in terms of testing before either of them rolls out a application or an update? You'd think Apple would have tested this. ANyway, Entourage was fine until I installed Tiger which is why my finger points towards tiger/apple.

Thanks for your opinion.

antonioconte said:
Agreed but surely there should be some communication in terms of testing before either of them rolls out a application or an update? You'd think Apple would have tested this. ANyway, Entourage was fine until I installed Tiger which is why my finger points towards tiger/apple.

Thanks for your opinion.
I don't have your attachments corruption problem. Entourage has a lot of other problems, but not that one. Compare attachments sent by your colleagues before your OS upgrade--but remain on the server--to those sent after your upgrade. If attachments sent prior to your OS upgrade remain uncorrupted after the upgrade, then the OS has nothing to do with your problem. Frankly, I am not at all convinced that your problem is not specific to your machine.

Now for Apple's fault in all of this: Microsoft is a third-party developer of Apple applications. It is Microsoft's responsibility to ensure that its applications work with Apple's OS. You can rest assured that Microsoft, like every other large developer, had access to developmental builds of MacOS X 10.4 months before the OS was released. A responsible developer releases fixes to any incompatibilies simultaneously with the release of a new version of the OS or soon thereafter. However, Microsoft announced that it would not release fixes for compatibility issues between Office 2004 and MacOS 10.4 for two months after the release of the new OS.

The documented issues between Microsoft Office and MacOS X 10.4 are relatively minor. These will be fixed eventually. I wish that Microsoft would fix the incompatibilities between Entourage and Exchange. These issues are relatively major.

I saw the attachment problem posted somewhere, don't remember.

One persons solution was to keep a small text file and use that as the first attachment to an email, then attach any others to send. The first usually gets corrupt, but the others are okay.

ok, just tried that and yes the pdf opens but it give the message TOO FEW OPERANDS - but success, the pdf opens, must try other files, i.e .doc, jpgs etc, etc. ......

I think this is the same issue. When my OS 10.4 Mail client receives an attachment generated in a group mailing from an XP workstation sent via Outlook through our intranet Exchange server, the attachment, usually an MS Office document, arrives corrupt, labeled 'mime-attachment' and unable to be opened whether or not I append the proper extension. I have tried looking at the code to determine if I can identify the resource fork, etc but no luck. The other curiosity is that URL's arrive duplicated. Our IT department does not support Maill.app so will not fix the problem at its origin. I cannot use our Exchange server because of attachment restrictions, so I maintain a POP account on one of our Unix servers. Again, this only arises with group mailings, never an individual message from anyone on any platform.

Back