Entourage 2008 issue

TheBattman

I'd rather be fishin'
OK, so I finally got my my nifty Office 2008 in (Teachers & Students). Install seemed to go smoothly---BUT.

Entourage wanted to import my old Entourage 2004 identity. That's fine.

But subsequent launches of Entourage results in a warning:

Could not open that feature. An unknown internal program error occurred.

I click through that, and it seems to work correctly.

Next time I launch Entourage--the message is back.

Found similar error that suggests deleting the identity and reimporting.... I did and the problem remains.

I tried again, this time not importing my old identity. No error on launch.

MS web sute isn't much help.

Spoke too soon. After reading some nail and trying to delete the mail, it now pops that message back in an endless cycle. I click "ok" and the message pops back up.

Dang it. I really didn't want to reinstall Office 2004 (and a bagillion updates). I want to smack myself for letting yhe Office 2008 installer delete the old apps.

arrrggh

You would have no choice, Office 2008 & Office 2004 can't co-exist. You can try holding down the Option & R keys as you start Entourage. This will rebuild the database, it may or may not solve your problem though. The other alternative is to delete the Entourage Identity files, located in the Document folder.

Office 2008 can be installed alongside other versions, though the installer will offer to remove them. Trial versions must
be removed, but I encountered no problems running Office 2004 and 2008 side by side except that only one copy of
Entourage can run simultaneously.

Please read Microsoft's web site on Entourage identities from one version to another. This is what I meant to say.

I just got office 2008 yesterday and had the same problem. Once I finished clicking ok for all of the errors, I found that none of the tools menus work. On the identity I imported I have 2 accounts (instead of having to switch identities). There are also a lot of rules for the accounts, I thought maybe some of that was the problem. I did notice that only my imap account showed up on the imort and my pop account didn't (they existed nicely in 2004 Entourage). I think the internal error has something to do with the menus that can't be accessed. The menus can be seen but if you drag to get to the sub menus, this is where it seems to be having a problem. I had done the remove Office 2004 step but didn't empty the trash so I am hoping that I can use it again until this glitch is resolved.

Back