Entourage And Tiger

mja21

Registered
I recently installed Tiger on my machine with no issues. This was approx 2 weeks ago. Until yesterday, I was able to open Entourage 2004 with no problems. I have a number of accounts going through this app. However, now when I click on the icon in dock, it bounces a number of times then stops. The program does not open. I tried opening program straight from Apps Folder, same thing. I noticed one time after I restarted the first time with issue that I had "Recovered Files" in the trash. The file was the .pid for AutoUpdate. Is this an issue? I've repaired permissions, still no success. Also, all other Microsoft Office apps working fine. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-MJA

If you search this forum, you will find at least one new question every day about problems with Entourage. I recommend its use only in the absence of an alternative. Having said that, there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do to help you without some knowledge about your email accounts and ISP.

My solution for Microsoft Office app problems has always been to reinstall the whole Office suite and then rerun all the patches. It usually fixes the problem and can save hours of troubleshooting. But, I have been able to migrate almost everything I did in MS Office to compatible non-MS apps so I don't worry about that anymore.

Try dragging the Preference files (plist) to the desktop and see if it works.

Located here;

user>library>Preferences>Microsoft

What alternative to you recommend? I use Entourage for Exchange Server and a couple of POP accounts. When I open "My Processes" I see the Database Daemon running. And my reminders are still popping up. I've reinstalled it, and tried the Preference files on my desktop, still no solution. I had installed a couple of 3rd party software just before I noticed this stuff happening. Anyone aware of 3rd party software that can cause Entourage to not behave?

If the nitwits in your IT department setup Exchange properly, then MacOS X Mail will do a better job than Entourage. Entourage explicitly supports Exchange. iCal should pick up your Exchange calendar. Of course, Mail will take care of your POP accounts. Even though there is no guarantee that IT setup Exchange properly, it is definitely worth it to see how well Mail handles your Exchange account in addition to your POP accounts.

Back