Entourage Database issue

kahits

Registered
I have been using Version 10.1 of MS Entourage (MS Office) for some time now, and have had to rebuild the database once so far. I guess I should have been doing this periodically, but now am being forced to do it, again. The problem is trying to find the space on the system HD to do that. I have moved alot of music and digital photo files onto an external HD, and have freed up some 40 gig of space on the start up HD. For some reason, it is still not enough (I think my database is no larger then 10gig) and I can not get this software to rebuild the database, hence I can not access my emails using Entourage. Is it because my HD is too fragmented for entourage to use it for this purpose? Is there a way to defragment the HD (I'm using OSX v 10.2.8)? What's the deal? Thanks.

kahits said:
I have been using Version 10.1 of MS Entourage (MS Office) for some time now, and have had to rebuild the database once so far. I guess I should have been doing this periodically, but now am being forced to do it, again. The problem is trying to find the space on the system HD to do that. I have moved alot of music and digital photo files onto an external HD, and have freed up some 40 gig of space on the start up HD. For some reason, it is still not enough (I think my database is no larger then 10gig) and I can not get this software to rebuild the database, hence I can not access my emails using Entourage. Is it because my HD is too fragmented for entourage to use it for this purpose? Is there a way to defragment the HD (I'm using OSX v 10.2.8)? What's the deal? Thanks.
How large is your hard disk? How much free space do you have? Do a Get Info... on your hard disk icon. How large is your Entourage database? Locate it and do a Get Info... on it. Quite frankly, 10 GB seems way out of line for an individual. What in God's name would be in your database? Are you and your colleagues emailing music and digital photographs to each other and archiving them all? BTW, one of the least likely explanations for you problem is file fragmentation. However, your problem may very well be that your database is just plain too big for Entourage to handle.

Thanks, MrMe.... I think that might be the problem. There are alot of digital photo's that were received, along with video and the like. Can I just move the database over to a back up HD (I have 2, 250 gig drives for that use.), and just start with a new one? I guess I would still want to access that information, but am not familiar enough with the software, so would be hesitant to erase it off the main hard drive, which is 80 gig. I did do a Get Info on the database and it is 10 gig. After I moved all the photo and music files to the backup drive, I ended up with 40 gig of usuable space, but it's chopped up. I did alot of video downloading, which pretty much maxed out that disc, hence I picked up 2, 250 gig drives to carry that load. I guess I over did it on this deal.... what do you suggest?

kahits said:
Thanks, MrMe.... I think that might be the problem. There are alot of digital photo's that were received, along with video and the like. Can I just move the database over to a back up HD (I have 2, 250 gig drives for that use.), and just start with a new one? I guess I would still want to access that information, but am not familiar enough with the software, so would be hesitant to erase it off the main hard drive, which is 80 gig. I did do a Get Info on the database and it is 10 gig. After I moved all the photo and music files to the backup drive, I ended up with 40 gig of usuable space, but it's chopped up. I did alot of video downloading, which pretty much maxed out that disc, hence I picked up 2, 250 gig drives to carry that load. I guess I over did it on this deal.... what do you suggest?
You can archive emails and other files from Entourage. It is not nearly as intuitive as with Outlook, but it still works. You have to create a Project, add files to it, and then archive them, creating a file whose name has the format Project Archive.rge. You can then delete the live copies of the archived files. You may then import the archive. This will give you the same access to your files that you had before, except that they are no longer on the server. I find the process to be a bit convoluted. The Entourage help file will help a bit, but not much. Look up archive.

Thanks... my immediate problem is I can't even open up the software. The database has to be rebuilt (not even a warning....) in order to get it to boot back up. Kind of tough to access the address book and calendar at this point. I appear to be stuck! Might have to call MS and pay for expert assistance, but it might be more an issue of the database being just too big to rebuild, with or without the necessary disc space.

Okay, I finally had to break down and call MS. Since I had never registered the software or used their TA people, it was complimentary (one more freebee to go..). All I needed was an upgrade for the program, and once that was installed, the advanced rebuild did the trick. I guess I need to let some of those upgrades come thru on start up. The guy was very helpful and funny, actually. I'm happy.... :)

kahits said:
Okay, I finally had to break down and call MS. Since I had never registered the software or used their TA people, it was complimentary (one more freebee to go..). All I needed was an upgrade for the program, and once that was installed, the advanced rebuild did the trick. I guess I need to let some of those upgrades come thru on start up. The guy was very helpful and funny, actually. I'm happy.... :)
any chance yo ucould sharwe which download that was???

I've got the same problem and would love to know what the update was!! i can't access any of my emails right now!!!

Back