Entourage IMAP problems: new messages ignored

lukev

Registered
Hi,

Having a problem with Entourage and an IMAP account: using Send & Receive All is failing to detect all new messages.

If I use Refresh Message List then the "missing" new mail gets picked up and alerted; same thing if I select one folder then another, which seems to force a refresh. It's not a connectivity issue, and I get no error messages. I can telnet into the mail server, do an "examine" and see that there are new messages there, I can also use Mail.app to see those messages but somehow Entourage won't.

I've flushed the cache, I've done a rebuild, have also recreated a new identity from scratch but no luck. I've seen the same problem described once or twice on the web but no solutions.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I have experienced a similar problem with Entourage not delivering messages from my firm's Exchange server. I had it setup using Exchange protocols rather than IMAP. At any rate, my workaround was to setup a new Entourage account to access my Exchange account with absolutely no rules.

An email program is supposed to deliver email. If it doesn't--and Entourage doesn't under some circumstances--then you should not use it. Use Mail instead. If you don't like Mail, try Thunderbird, Eudora, or something else.

Thanks for that opinion, but other than this problem (which started relatively recently) Entourage has performed ok for me and I quite like it.

I'd prefer to look for creative solutions to this. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to create an Applescript which simply runs the "Refresh Message List" command, then I can run this on a schedule which should solve the problem. Secondly, can someone tell me how I could capture the IMAP conversation b/w Entourage and my server to actually see what's going on?

Thanks.

lukev,

I have given you a solution based on my experience with Entourage. To repeat my earlier post, create a new account within the Entourage app which accesses your IMAP account. Avoid establishing any rules, particularly SPAM rules.

Word to the Wise: When someone in the future offers help, do not dismiss it as opinion. You asked for help, by the way. If you don't accept the help, just ignore it. While it is true that not all offers of help are useful, most are made honestly. When you make it clear that you don't want help, then people will stop giving it to you.

I definitely appreciate the the help. The advice about creating the new account was useful...the reason I didn't address that specifically was b/c I'd said in my previous post the things I'd already tried and that was among them. Unfortunately it hadn't worked for me.

The part I labelled "opinion" was the suggestion that I should trash Entourage and go use another product. As I've paid several hundred dollars to use Entourage and laid out in detail the technical problem I'm having doing that, I'm really just looking for a technical solution. Hence, I'd class that suggestion as opinion, which BTW I wasn't dimissing, just saying "thanks, I've considered that but don't wish to go that way".

So I'm sorry if that caused offence, certainly didn't intend that!

sudo tcpdump -w <servername>.cap -s0 -vv

This creates a file (.cap) and captures traffic over the wire. Wait for a few minutes and then hit CTRL+C to stop the session.

For more info do a man tcpdump.

Good Luck.

Back