entourage vs. mail.app

I certainly hope a carbon version of "Entourage Express" may one day come out. To keep my expectations from being shattered, I doubt that will happen. For now, I'm just saving to purchase Office.

I'm not sure why you guys like Carbon stuff so much. (yeah, I'm wildy generalizing now ;) Every Carbon application I've tried behaves rather bad and slows down the system considerably. Heck, I can't even listen to MP3's with iTunes while sending messages with that ^&^&( ICQ client from icq.com!

Ok.. back to the topic.. :) A BIG advantage from Mail.app vs Entourage is the fact it's a Cocoa app. :)

Sargon

PS.
I see Carbon applications (not to speak of Classic apps...) in the same light as I see PS1 games under PS2 - it's a good marketing thing, but after 1 week, no-one will ever play a PS1 game under PS2. ;-)

Hey Sargon,

of *course* Cocoa is the way to go. It was clear from the beginning that Apple wants developers to port existing apps to Carbon and code new ones on Cocoa. Fact might be that devs won't and Apple is improving the Carbon API (not to the extent that it will be easier one day coding for Carbon than for Cocoa but performance-wise).

Why you can't use MP3s & ICQ at the same time I don't know. I don't see such a big performance gap between Cocoa/Carbon as of now (10.1.1, 9.2.2). iTunes hasn't been a 'performer' really, of course, so far.

But people don't want a Carbon version of Outlook Express, because they like Carbon more than Cocoa, they just see that MS won't possibly write a whole new E-Mail app in Cocoa right now and give it away for free. Because Apple already did. And I must say: Apple's Mail.app is great for daily E-Mail business. Also for thousands of E-Mail (to an earlier post).

But if you want more features than Mail.app delivers, the competitors are Carbon based right now. And Entourage makes a good competition and can even import mbox'es.

Maybe OmniGroup should do a PIM (Mail, Contacts, Dates, Palm integration, whatever other feature comes to mind). They make great software and *do* use Cocoa. :)

Back