Entourage with Exchange Troubleshooting

pireland

Registered
I've setup Entourage on our Windows network to connect to our Exchange server. When I go through the setup and test my settings, I'm told they are successful. But when I try to use the program I keep getting a password failure.

How can my settings succeed but I still fail everytime I try to use the program. And the strangest part is I made a few test emails and they worked, and when I try to create a new email it is able to resolve the usernames on the exchange server or the LDAP server.

HEEEEELLLP! I've got to setup our entire Marketing Department this week and I need to make this work.

Ok, first off I would like to welcome you to email hell in the form of "Microsoft Exchange".
Now, being an Exchange Admin myself I'm going to need some more details:
What version of Exchange are you trying to connect to? Exchange 5.5, 2000, or 2003?

Not to beat a dead horse, but Entourage 2004 is very much hit-and-miss with Exchange. If your Exchange server is compatible with Mail/iCal/Address Book, you will find the Apple suite to be much more reliable. If you are forced to use Entourage, then you will need a workaround. My experience is that problematic accounts in Entourage cannot be fixed. I recommend that you create a replacement account in Entourage to access the Exchange account that gives you problems.

If it's not a violation of your company's policies/regulations, then have your Exchange admin give your account IMAP/POP privileges and then just use either Entourage in that mode or the built-in Apple Mail app.
Where I work those protocols are disabled per our security policy.

I've been looking all over the place, and I found that in order for Entourage and Exchange to play well together, you need to have SP2 installed on the Exchange Server (Exchange 2003), and have all your office service packs (also SP2) for Office 2004 installed.

The trouble is my company is very strict. I'm trying to get it done, but I'll have to do testing here, in New Jersey, and in Europe before being allowed to push it on our live server and then I'll have to do the change paperwork which could take another week.

I'm an MCSE since 1996, but I'm not married to any OS. I've used linux, Apple, Novell, IBM AS/400's, etc.

We do have our outlook web access setup too, and I've tried to use the weboutlook link, but it won't work. I think everything will come together once I put SP2 on the server. At least, it should.

WTF? You don't have all the latest patches installed on the server?
Bad admin! Bad! ;)
Meh. We use E2K3 in Iraq but back here it's still Exchange 5.5 on server 2000.
Thank God for BackupExec at least.
Please tell me you're running OWA on a different server than the primary E2K3 server, right?

MisterMe said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but Entourage 2004 is very much hit-and-miss with Exchange. If your Exchange server is compatible with Mail/iCal/Address Book, you will find the Apple suite to be much more reliable. If you are forced to use Entourage, then you will need a workaround. My experience is that problematic accounts in Entourage cannot be fixed. I recommend that you create a replacement account in Entourage to access the Exchange account that gives you problems.

Can I have access to the Exchange contacts with Adress Book?
And when I get a mail with a meeting invitation, does it work with iCal? And can I invite other people to meetings via iCal???
If so, I'll be very happy to change!! :D

You can have access to Exchange contacts (known as "the GAL") one of two ways:

1) Via LDAP
2) Via the Exchange options in Address book
Go nuts with it...I'm playing with it right now.

iball said:
WTF? You don't have all the latest patches installed on the server?
Bad admin! Bad! ;)
Meh. We use E2K3 in Iraq but back here it's still Exchange 5.5 on server 2000.
Thank God for BackupExec at least.
Please tell me you're running OWA on a different server than the primary E2K3 server, right?

I have a tendancy to let other people go through the pains of working out the bugs before I jump in. :)

And to be honest, we've got a guy whose only job is to work the exchange server. They don't let me touch it even though I'm certified on it. I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to be allowed to put the patch on. It's going to take a month for the poor Mac users to be up and running.

Back