Epson/Gimp print anticlimax

Mushu

Registered
Have installed gimp print on my G4 running Jaguar. However, although my Epson Colour 3000 appears in the print center, when I try to print a document from any application it goes through the motions but nothing happens, no error message, nothing, the file never makes it to the printer. Anyone else had the same problem, if so have you managed to fix it and how?

First thought....

When usnig GIMP drivers, I am pretty sure you have to add your printer again using the installation method described in the READ ME that comes with the drivers.

If I recall, you have to hold down command when clicking ADD, and then select from and ADVANCED tab.

Anyway, I am not sitting in front of my machine right now...check out the READ ME and make sure you follow that.

I have installed 2 printers (see my sig) and both have worked perfectly with GIMP.

Good luck,
Eddie

Tried all that originally and it still wouldn't work. It's a strange one , it doesn't give any error or indication of what happens. The file looks like it is spooling as normal in the application and then it dissapears, when i check in print Center it shows No Jobs

HA HAAA.....GOT IT WORKING :) :)

Downloaded a different version of ghost script and Gimp Print 4.2.5 rather than the later version that I had previously installed and it all seems to be working. The quality of the image isn't great, but that may just be down to the print settings as I didn't bother changing them.

Ta for the suggestions, I'm off to put the kettle on! :)

Please take me through how you got this to work!

I have a Power Macintosh G3 (upgraded to G4 500 MHz, 768 MB of RAM) running OS 10.2.6, connected to a StyleWriter 1200 via the printer port; and I am having a very similar problem!!!

I have added the StyleWriter 1200 to the Printer List and can show info: Printer Name - StyleWriter 1200; Location - GTXMAC; Queue Name - StyleWriter; Host Name - Local. Printer Model shows Apple StyleWriter 1200, Foomatic + Ipstyl but there is nothing under Model Name. There are no Installable Options and Configue is disabled.

If I attempt to print a document, the print box appears showing StyleWriter 1200 as the selected printer and standard presets, then printing page 1, 2 etc; but eventually the Print Centre icon leaves the dock and nothing happens!

I have tried re-installing many times, so any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

gtx

Ok well it was a bit of trial and error but this is the gist of it....

In the gimp print faq there is a reference to the abscence of 'ghostscript' being the cause of a similiar problem, specifically in carbon applications ie, Photoshop, illustrator etc... So I downloaded ghostscript as it suggested in the faq from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=18073&release_id=10932

This didn't solve the problem initially but I think the version off gimp print I had downloaded was a bit unstable too (v4.3) because as soon as I installed an older version (4.2.5) everything started to work.

I added the printer to the Printer list as per the guidelines in the Read Me file

Sorry it's a bit rambling but I'm not sure whether installing ghostscript or the earlier version of gimp print solved the problems I was having.

Hope this helps, Good luck

PS: just checked the url I put in that last post and realised I should have mentioned that the version of ghostscript I downloaded was called 'espgs-7.05.5-0.ppc.dmg'

To use the StyleWriter under X, you need to use an adapter like this

It's a Farallon EtherMac iPrint SL Adapter - serial to ethernet. The LT version is for LocalTalk laser printers and later StyleWriters and the SL is for earlier StyleWriters.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Downloaded and installed espgs-7.0.5.6.ppc.dmg and gimp-print-4.2.5-0.ppc.dmg and it worked a treat!!!
Once again, thanks
gtx

Back