Epson Stylus C62 / C60 won't print, prints randomly under Jaguar

Kazrog

Mac Metalhead
Anybody else have one of these printers? The problem seems to be specific to printing from Photoshop - the file gets put in the queue, the queue is running and the job is "printing" in print manager but never actually prints out, even after HOURS. Then sometimes it works, very very rarely and increasingly less over time.

Anyone know what the deal is? It is driving me insane. Epson's support of their printers is atrocious - the drivers that SHIP with the printer don't exist on their website either - there is no C62 entry on their Mac OS X page even though it ships with Mac OS X drivers that are OLDER than many of the other drivers on the page.

I have a C60 and I have had zero problems with it. I'll test it out a little bit tonite in Photoshop to see if I get similar results. I print only a couple of times a week.

The printer works quite well with OS X 10.2. The drivers are part of Jaguar (at least to my knowledge they are).

I just plugged it in and there is was in my Print Center. What blew me away was I turned on my wife's Powerbook 333mhz and checked her Print Center and there was the Epson C60!! (You do have to enable printer sharing on the machine connected to the printer).

The main issue when things go bad in printing usually goes to printer memory. The fact that the C60/62 series are below $100 may indicate that they do not have a lot of memory onboard. The results are all too familar to what goes on in the office. The personal printers always have trouble printing large spreadsheets, but the network copiers have no problems at all.

Most printers only have about a meg of memory onboard. Sorry I don't have a solution, but hopefully this sheds some light to why it misbehaves.

That's a good insight. However, if software was written properly (yes, that's a BIG if, I know...) then theoretically printer memory would be irrelevant, the COMPUTER would periodically send the printer chunks of data up to the printer's limit and the job would still print. I thought that's what "spooling to disk" was all about...

In my opinion, the software is "broke-ass"

Back