Error 10660

LizzieJoy

Registered
Every time I try to open a document it tells me that an unexpected error har occured, error 10660. I can still open the documents if I go throught the 'recently opened' function on word but this means I can't open anything new. What can I do?

LizzieJoy said:
Every time I try to open a document it tells me that an unexpected error har occured, error 10660. I can still open the documents if I go throught the 'recently opened' function on word but this means I can't open anything new. What can I do?

I get the same error, but perhaps you can clarify if any of the circumstances surrounding this are related to yours?

I'm on a new MacBook Pro that I used a FireWire cable to migrate everything from my olf PB.

When I first started tryin to double-click a doc, it opened a dialogue that the demo of Office had expired - it turned out I now had a demo and a licensed copy of office in two different folders. I tried resetting the application in the 'get info' properties window but that didn't fix it. Deleting the demo folder resulted in the -10660 error.

I tried uninstalling both versions of Office, rebooting, and reinstalling. I then applied patches 11.2 and 11.2.1. The -10660 error still happens.

If I have the correct office app open - even without an open document, just sort of running in the background - the error doesn't occur and I can double-click a doc and they all open just happy as can be.

i can also use the file|open function from within office and open up docs.

have you tried any of these steps? I'm not saying any will help you (they did not help me!) but if you are desperate, the office running int he background workaround should help until we find a solution.

Rick

Error 10660 indicates that the file wants to be opened by an application that doesn't exist. See here for a related discussion.

One option you can exercise, besides what's mentioned in that FAQ, is to use an application like Onyx to reset links between documents and applications. This is available, in Onyx, as an option in Maintenance->Reset.

This is technically an OS X problem, but in my experience is most common with Microsoft Office apps when you migrate data or uninstall/reinstall/upgrade Office.

Thanks, Bill. I had already tried everything in the post you popped up there, but had not yet tried Onyx.

One tip: Just make sure you have the right version - I had an older version and got all sorts of funky errors. upgrading to the latest version fixed that.

Reassigning the links in Onyx worked, with the exception that it seems to have forgotten what icons go with a .doc file on my desktop. In folders it looks fine. Re-linking again manually in the INFO dialog box resets the icon correctly, but even without the icon, the link to the right application is working.

Only trick is it does prompt the first time you open one that it's the first time you have opened the application ("Word" for example) even though it isn't,but it works fine after that.

You can also just try emptying the trash. That worked for me and has worked for a lot of other people too.

Back